Model 8 Grade 6 (F) info please (with pics)

Posts about the Model 8
NRAchad

Model 8 Grade 6 (F) info please (with pics)

Post by NRAchad »

A recent find. There's a "6" under the buttstock on the spring housing/tang, grade 6? It looks original to me, anyone ID the engraver? There's a "K" inside a circle? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by NRAchad on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRAchad

Re: Model 8 Grade 6 (F) info please (with pics)

Post by NRAchad »

Pack,
Thank you. It wasn't in a closet, it was on a table at a small show. The guns were out of an estate and had been evaluated and priced by some "experts". It had other guns stacked on top of it (like cord wood) :shock: and it came with 7 boxes of factory ammo. :) Here's some additional photos of the markings. Remington UMC should be post 1912?, but the serial number is listed as 1910. The barrel markings and grip cap mention UMC and the last patent date on the barrel is 1911. I know with Winchester, special order guns usually shipped later than the serial number would indicate and I suppose Remington was the same way. Any idea on these markings?

81police

Post by 81police »

I know with Winchester, special order guns usually shipped later than the serial number would indicate and I suppose Remington was the same way. Any idea on these markings?
Nice rifle Chad,

You are correct that years can span between when a receiver was made, and when the assembled rifle was shipped. The "circle K" marking is an inspector stamp. I noticed that ever your trigger plate and receiver, under the stock, are maked "6", that's pretty cool.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
TNrifleman

Post by TNrifleman »

Chad,

Welcome to the forum. Your Model 8 is quite a find. The engraving is beautiful. I keep hoping to find one like that, but it hasn't happened yet. I do love my plain vanilla Model 81 though.
Viper Spray

Post by Viper Spray »

How much is one of those worth and about how much did you manage to steal it for? Beautiful gun.
NRAchad

Post by NRAchad »

Viper Spray wrote:How much is one of those worth and about how much did you manage to steal it for? Beautiful gun.

Thank you. I paid the full asking price written on the post-it note stuck to the gun (immediately)! I don't really know what it's worth (I was hoping someone could tell me), but my guess is somewhere between three and five grand. I haven’t been able to find any comparable sales.
model8man

Post by model8man »

What a beautiful gun. An unbelievable find.

Very envious.

Randy
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

The barrel jacket head in the next to last photo has a diamond stamp. Wasn't this marking used on a few late 8's and all 81's

Thanks
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

OMGosh. What a find!