Remington Model 14 help please

Other great Remington rifles
FishinDVM

Remington Model 14 help please

Post by FishinDVM »

Hello, my father recently gave me a Remington Model 14 in .32 cal in what he thought was a 14R (carbine). I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I do believe the carbine barrel is marked "Model 14-R" and this rifle is not... also... I believe from the pictures I have seen that this rifle also has a different stock style than a true carbine. Anyhow, I plan on using this gun for hunting and have a few questions first.

1) Based on the pictures, IF this is not the Model 14R carbine, I would assume that means someone took a Model 14 in .32 cal and cut the barrel down as it does measure exactly 18 inches. IF this is the case, the value of the gun will go down significantly correct?

2) If the gun has not been altered, I would leave it alone, but IF it has already been messed with, I would consider adding a scope since I have no intention of selling it. Would you guys think adding a scope is a good or bad idea? Anyone have a Model 14 that can recommend a good scope to add?

3) I know ammo is hard to come by and $$$, but, the gun shoots fine as I tried it out the other day and was quite accurate with just the open sights at around 75 yards. Anyone have a source for the .32 ammo?

4) Anyone have advice on cleaning this gun up? I dont know anything about bluing steel, but I would like to make this thing look a bit nicer... anything I can do to the steel?, wood sand/oil/polish advice would be great... THANKS! - Chris
Wildgoose

Re: Remington Model 14 help please

Post by Wildgoose »

Pretty much looks like just what your dad said it is. A model 14R carbine in 32 Remington. The barrel length for these was listed at 18.5 inches. Your gun seems to be an unaltered C GRADE (semi pistol grip & cap with upgraded wood) rifle. The ammo can be made from 30 Rem brass by running it through 32 dies or formed with some work from 30/30 Win. If you spend some time reading here on this forum there are very detailed posts on the 32 availability and loading situation.
Personally I would just field strip, clean up and reassemble this nice old shooter. You can find how to vids on youtube to help with this part. I would not start drilling holes in it for a scope. If you are open site challenged you can find original Lyman tang peep sights on GB or ebay made for these guns. Of course this is all just my opinion. Nice old rifle!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Welcome aboard. I know very little about Rem14 s. But I do reload 32 Rem. All the time. Email me for any info you may need about it. Also Buffalo Arms inPonderay,Idaho sells reloads that they make in their shop.Ph. # is208-263-6953, or at www.buffaloarms.com
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

It does look like your rifle is a factory carbine and a nice old gun. However, I don't like to contradict another poster, but I'm pretty confident your rifle is not a "C" grade. Most 14R's (carbines) had straight stocks, while most 14 A's(standard rifle) had the semi pistol grip stocks. The wood on your rifle is not high grade. It looks like a run of the mill standard grade stock from a 14A. The question is whether it is a replacement or was it original from the factory. A factory "C" grade rifle would have fancier grain wood and it would be checkered. The "C" stamped on the underside of the receiver is the factory model. The 14 was referred to as the model "C" inhouse at the factory. 14's have that "C" stamp there other than factory engraved 14's of higher grades which will often have the hand engraved grade above the hand engraved serial number. I also don't believe the grip cap is original or Remington. The pictures don't show it too well, but it doesn't look like a factory cap. At best, the stock is a factory placed standard 14 A stock, but it could also be a replacement. 14r carbines are desired rifles, and fun to shoot. Your rifle looks fairly well used, so go shoot the heck out of it and have fun.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

OK, so we are an 8/81 forum but... seems there are more then a few of us interested in other old Rems (not to mention other makes). Dug through some old post, hope this helps:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1286

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2135

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2158

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1897

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/books/Remington14 (Author really knows his 14, 14 1/2, & 141s.)

Being a righty shooting left, I have some interest in semi-auto, levers and pumps. I have no pumps with a scope but I have read that a scope on a pump (or a lever?) is not the best idea as it is more difficult to reacquire the target then say with a bolt. I can see how this would be true.

Plus pumps and lever are generally not as accurate as types thus they are normally used for brush and shorter ranges inside of a 100yds or so.

And last, since 14 carbines are a bit more rare, if you need a scope I'd strongly suggest going with a different kind of shooter vs. D & T a fine old gun. On that note, if you want something with a scope I have 8's and 81s with scopes that I'd trade you for your 14 NOT D&T. :D

Nice gun, congrats - enjoy it.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Rem8&81 wrote:It does look like your rifle is a factory carbine and a nice old gun. However, I don't like to contradict another poster, but I'm pretty confident your rifle is not a "C" grade. Most 14R's (carbines) had straight stocks, while most 14 A's(standard rifle) had the semi pistol grip stocks. The wood on your rifle is not high grade.
Thanks for setting things straight Corey. The ''other poster " in this case is no expert. ;)