love model 8

Posts about the Model 8
curtisc

love model 8

Post by curtisc »

Hi i have always loved the 8 since i was four i have dreamed of owning an 8 and 8 years ago i bought two for 350 total one i was coned out of the other i have and two my grandfather had two are in 32 rem and one in 30 rem i plan on finding more 8 in future not just to collect but to hunt with thanks to my grandfather his love of 8 was passed on to me so how did you guys fall in love with tje 8or 81
Hardrada55

Re: love model 8

Post by Hardrada55 »

I went to a gunshow in Snyder Texas and a guy had a table with a Model 8 and a Model 81 on it. I looked at the guns for quite a while, thinking that these were the coolest old guns I'd ever seen. I determined then to find out as much as I could about the Remington Model 8 and 81. I looked in the old Shooting Times newspaper and saw an ad for Henwood's book and bought it. Then shortly thereafter, I went to a gun show in Abilene and purchased a .30 caliber Model 8 and a box of cartridges. I was off...
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

When i was about ten my father sent me out deer hunting with a 81 in 35 cal.
I thought it was a cool looking rifle at the time, sorry to say i never got to shoot it at anything.
About ten years ago i was in a local gun shop and there were several on the rack.
I always wanted my own so i bought one and have had it ever since .
I may go look at a model eight today, fingers crossed.
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
curtisc

Post by curtisc »

Thats great guys all of my great uncles (6) had an 8 and 81 my grandfather had two and my cousins (4) have all got 8 and 81
drogte

Post by drogte »

I have been using my grand-dad's rem model 8 .35 rem since 1974 deer hunting, my grandpa started using it about 1942...to my knowledge it has never missed a Michigan Rifle Season....I also have my father's model 8 also which he started to use about the same time. I love my model 8's and wont ever take another rifle into the field.
Roger

Post by Roger »

I have no family history with rem.m-8/81 s. But I do hope that i've started one with my old Remington@Winchester rifles and my 3 sons.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
curtisc

Post by curtisc »

That is great that you are lucky enough to have sentimental value to your rifles i like wise do and it makes those rifles priceless in my opinion. Dont worry roger your boys if they have an interest in hunting or in guns in general will have the same feelings toward your rifles as many of us sons and grandsons do every boys hero is their father or grandfather or both good luck and thank you for posting
Curt
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks Curt, my sons are all adults now,but all still hunt, shoot, and fish.They were in the bassboat fishing before they were 2 yrs. Old,and raised shooting as soon as they were responcible and old enuf to go do it with me. They all learned on JMB designed guns and have respect for his designs and genius.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

There's a cool picture (in the "vintage" picture gallery) of my father hunting with a Model 81 when he was about 15 down here in Texas. We went to a gunshow in Denton, TX and he bought an early four digit Model 81 in .30Rem. It's the gun that reignited his interest (and mine!) in the rifles. I think he bought Henwood's book that same day. The rest is history.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

That is a cool picture of your Dad. You look just like him ,Cameron. I'm sure you're real proud of him and glad for all he's taught you over the years.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com