300 Savage loads for 81

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
oscarflytyer

300 Savage loads for 81

Post by oscarflytyer »

Have an 81 on the way, in 300 Savage. Anyone reloading for the 300 Savage? Plan to shoot 150 grn bullets. Recommended loads/powders would be appreciated. Thanx
DWalt

Re: 300 Savage loads for 81

Post by DWalt »

I think most reloading manuals still list data for the .300 Savage. .308 loads (and ballistics) are quite similar, but if you use .308 data (and there is really no need to), start on the low end. I use 37 grains of 3031 with a 150 grain bullet. Some prefer a bit slower powder like 4895.
panzerman

Post by panzerman »

Does the bullet need to be crimped since it is an auto loader? Not sure WHERE I heard this but I do remember hearing some guy(s) telling me that most heavy recoiling autos need to have bullet crimped.
[b]Ride, shoot straight and speak the truth "Jeff Cooper"/b]
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

There is disagreement on that point. I do not crimp bullets in my .300 Savage loads, and I have never measured any bullet movement occurring under recoil. I tried that, just to see. Also, many .30 bullets have no crimping cannelures anyway. My feeling is that crimping is optional - it won't hurt but it may not do much good if you do it. Rifles having tubular magazines (such as Marlin 336s and Winchester 94s, etc.) should use cartridges with crimped bullets, as bullets could otherwise be forced into the cases under recoil, especially repeated recoil. But I have never tested that theory.

By the way, I also have a Remington 740 in .308 and a Remington 7400 in .270. I don't crimp bullets of my reloads for either of those.
panzerman

Post by panzerman »

Ok, that helps a bit to hear. I appreciate the response.
olskool

Post by olskool »

i don't use this load in a model 8, i use it in a 99 savage. 42 gr. of varget with a 150gr. rem. cl and a standard primer. it is a tack driver. also if i wont to use a 165 gr. sierra gkhp i drop it to 41 gr. deer deadly!
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
panzerman

Post by panzerman »

Thank you, I will try that out.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

I am a novice at reloading, however I do have a "go-to" guy who has offered me training and guidance to someday "roll my own" ammo.

This is going to show my lack of knowledge - do you all cast your own lead bullets for the .300 Savage? If so, what steps do yall take in terms of removing or minimizing lead fouling?

I'd like to see what folks are doing in terms of .35 Remington reloading as well.

Thanks guys.
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Mr Lee,
I really like cast loads in these calibers, Particularly 35Rem. Gas checks and linotype cast bullets are a great help for lead fouling.
You might also try the "teflon" trick I posted :ugeek: under the Troubleshooting section. Just be sure to not get lube of any kind in a chamber. It can cause case head thrust problems and damage your bolt and barrel. :o
Another note: If you'll check "published" pressures for various loads you'll conclude these guns are designed for medium pressures. I strongly recommend you don't use 308 load data in any of these guns. It's HOT. :twisted:
Enjoy reloading, I've had a lot of fun with it over the years. And it's way cheaper...
Phyrbird
SOKY