Missing FN Op. Handle Bushings

jack1653

Missing FN Op. Handle Bushings

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

For those of you that have an FN and are missing the bushing off of the bolt charge handle, or might need a new bolt charge handle, I may be able to help you get a replacement. I have several of the FN's and four of them are missing the bushing and one needs a new handle. I have talked with 81police and Rem8&81 about this issue. Both have told me that this was a very common problem with the FN's. If the cap came off then the spring and pin would fall out and would have to be replaced with some sort of modification.

The four that are missing have four different "fixes" to the problem. Some are tastefully done and some are not. Corey shared with me that a lot of the FN owners may have never had more than one of these rifles and unless the handle was really a "bubba" job, they would not know the bushing was missing. Some of the fixes included using the bolt charge handle form an 8 or 81. With a little filing, one could be altered enough to fit the missing piece. Two of mine had metal screws made to go into the threaded hole and milled or filed to allow the screw to engage the bolt.

I took one of the complete charge handles to a machinist today and asked about getting some of the pieces duplicated. He assured me could make the pieces and I have placed an order to have several sets made. The price isn't cheap but what are you going to do when you can't find original parts. I am also having a complete bolt charge handle milled and turned to be like the original. One of my FN's had a "bubba" fix for a bolt handle and now it will have an exact replica. Again, not cheap but the rifle will be complete. I should have the components within the month. The missing spring that is inside the handle can be replaced by using the spring out of a ball point pen and cutting it to the proper length. I will provide the spring with the set.

I am going to ask 81police to post some pictures of what I am talking about. Perhaps he can edit the pictures and point out on them what I have been describing. Thanks in advance, Cam.

If any of you would be interested in these parts, please send me a PM and I will try and get you a set.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Re: Missing FN Op. Handle Bushings

Post by 81police »

To illustrate the part Jack is referring to the picture below has an original FN operating handle on the far left. All the handles to the right have been modified at some point or another because the operating handle bushing was lost. The bottom photograph shows the FN handle and its disassembled components.
Attachments
ORIGINAL & MODIFIED FN OP HANDLES.jpg
ORIGINAL & MODIFIED FN OP HANDLES.jpg (121.73 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
carb4.jpg
carb4.jpg (23.43 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 81police,

Thanks for posting the pictures and clarifying the nomenclature. I should have checked the correct terminolgy on the parts before posting.

The pictures surely indicate the various modifications to fix the missing bushing. The only part missing from the FN picture is the tiny spring which measures about 3/8" in length and it goes on the topside of the pin.

I am excited to be getting the correct components back on my rifle. Hopefully it won't take a month, but beggars can't be choosers. :lol:

Regards,

jack1653
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

Just to let you know, I haven't forgot about the parts that I have promised to some of you. I think there were three members who requested a set; cannuk (2), ranman and 81police. If I missed someone, just let me know. I checked with the machinist and he has not started the milling yet. He apologized and said it has been a very busy time for his business which is good for him, but bad for me since my job is a "fill-in" when he doesn't have anythink else going on. I will make a posting when I get the parts which I hope won't be too much longer. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

jack1653
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I checked the status on the parts yesterday and they are still hanging in the plastic bag on the bulletin board. :( I got all kinds of excuses and apologies but no parts yet. I am to check back in a couple of weeks. If they aren't done at that time, I will seek another machinist to do the work. I was so optimistic since the guy is a gun enthusiast but I had no other source. I am sorry, but I will get the parts.

Regards,

jack1653