Bonnie and Clyde guns

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
mr mike

Bonnie and Clyde guns

Post by mr mike »

Saw this on the evening news and looked it up on-line.
The Barret- Jackson company is holding an auction to
sell off several gun supposedly owned by Bonnie and Clyde.

I seem to recall something like 14 weapons were found with them
in their car after the ambush. I also read a letter written by her mother
after the ambush asking to have some of her personal weapons returned.
Don't know if that ever happened.

Anyway if there is some interest go to:

http://ozarksfirst/fulltext?nxd_id=589252
81police

Re: Bonnie and Clyde guns

Post by 81police »

Thanks for posting this, pretty cool.

I never knew they used a Tommy Gun but I found this quote from texashideout.tripod.com...

"Barrow's 45 Caliber Thompson Sub-machine Gun? - Serial # 4208 had been
on display at the Springfield Missouri Police Museum from 1973 until 2011.
It has always been believed that the Barrow gang never used machine guns.
That theory had been proven wrong by Barrow associate Floyd Hamilton,
brother of Raymond Hamilton. Floyd stated that the gang had at one time,
used the Thompson Sub-machine gun, but had discovered that the fully
loaded cylinder drums that held the ammo, would get dented when stored on
the floor of the car, along with the other numerous weapons in their arsenal.
causing them to jam constantly and rendering them virtually inoperable."
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
canuck

Post by canuck »

WOW!

I heard the US was in a recession :P

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... SY20120121

(Reuters) - Two guns believed seized from gangsters Bonnie and Clyde in 1933 after a deadly Missouri shootout with police sold for a combined $210,000 at an auction on Saturday in Kansas City to an unnamed online bidder.

The bidder paid $130,000 for a .45-caliber Thompson submachine gun, known as a "Tommy gun" in gangster slang. The same bidder paid $80,000 for an 1897 12-gauge Winchester shotgun.

"We're happy," said auctioneer Robert Mayo, owner of Mayo Auction & Realty, which held the auction attended by more than 100 people. As for the bid prices, Mayo said, "Nothing ever surprises me."

Mayo had not put an estimated value on the guns but said pre-auction online bids had reached $35,000 for the Tommy gun. Three weeks ago, a Missouri gun dealer who once sold a pistol owned by 19th-century outlaw Frank James predicted the Tommy gun would bring at least $25,000.

The guns were seized after a police shootout with Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow in Joplin, Missouri, on April 13, 1933. Police raided an apartment where the couple was hiding out. Bonnie and Clyde escaped, but two officers died in the shootout.

A police officer later gave the weapons to Mark Lairmore, a Tulsa police officer, and they remained in the Lairmore family, according to a Mayo account of the guns' history.

A great-grandson of Lairmore, also named Mark Lairmore, said the family no longer saw a need for the guns, which had been in a police museum in Springfield, Missouri, from 1973 until late last year.

Several people bid in person on the guns on Saturday, including Michael Brown, who said he was representing a group that wanted the guns for a gangster museum planned in Las Vegas. He bid nearly as much as the winning bidder on each gun and said he especially wanted the Tommy gun.

"There are very few guns with the historic value of that one," Brown said as he left the building to catch a plane back to Las Vegas. Brown said he hadn't planned to bid on the second gun but did so after losing out on the Tommy gun. He said he was surprised the second gun went so high.

Mayo talked up the Tommy gun during the bidding as a "unique opportunity to own a piece of history" and he predicted the weapons would sell for much more in the years ahead.

Bonnie and Clyde history buff John Mahoney of Overland Park, Kansas, said he couldn't resist attending the auction, though he said he had no plans to make a bid.

"Curiosity got the best of me," Mahoney said. "I'd love to own one, but they are out of my price range."

(Reporting By Kevin Murphy; Editing by Mary Wisniewski and Cynthia Johnston)

U.S.
81police

Post by 81police »

The author of the Bonnie and Clyde website (texashideout.tripod.com) says this about the guns which sold,

"I'm asked repeatedly if these are indeed recovered Barrow weapons. I have nothing to indicated that they
are from the Barrow arsenal recovered from the Joplin apartment hideout in the Spring of 1933. Barrow & Co.
was known for posing for photographs which showed off their cars and weapons, however they evidentially
saw no reason to ever pose with this, or any other Thompson submachine gun for that matter!"

Who knows though!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
canuck

Post by canuck »

Bonnie, Clyde guns stay together after high bidder pays $500,000
LITTLETON, New Hampshire (Reuters) - Two pistols found on the bodies of famed Depression-era outlaws Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow after they were killed by a posse in 1934 have sold at auction on Sunday for $504,000.

A snub-nosed .38 special found taped to the inside of Parker's thigh with white medical tape fetched $264,000 at an auction in Nashua, New Hampshire. A Colt .45 recovered from the waistband of Barrow's pants was purchased for $240,000.

The guns owned by Parker, who died at age 23, and Barrow, who was 25, were purchased by a Texas collector who wished to remain anonymous.

"They're still iconic and their love story kind of resonates," said Bobby Livingston, vice president of RR Auction, the company that conducted the sale. "We have a romanticized vision of Bonnie and Clyde."

The hunt for the outlaw lovers captured the nation's imagination during the depths of the Great Depression. The duo were believed to have committed 13 murders and numerous bank robberies, kidnappings and car thefts during a cross-country crime spree from 1932 to 1934. Their fame was heightened by their practice of leaving glamorous photos of themselves at crime scenes, including one of Parker smoking a cigar.

A popular 1967 movie, "Bonnie and Clyde," a somewhat romanticized account of the couple's career starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, was critically acclaimed for its frank presentation of sex and violence.

Among other crimes, the two are thought to have killed police officers in Missouri, Texas and Oklahoma. They were also suspected of staging a prison break in Waldo, Texas, that left two prison guards dead in 1934.

A posse of Texas Rangers and Louisiana police killed the two in an early morning ambush in northern Louisiana in May of that year.

The guns auctioned off came from the estate of memorabilia collector Robert Davis, who had purchased them in 1986 for about $50,000 each, Livingston said.

A gold pocket watch found on Barrow's body sold for $36,000. Other items included a 1921 Morgan silver dollar taken from Barrow's jacket fetched $32,400, and one of Parker's silk stockings, taken from the couple's car after their death, which went for $11,400

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bonnie-clyde-g ... 03899.html
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

IMO to glorify killing scum like them is disturbing, the heros are the law enforcement people that killed them.

Not to spoil the thread just my feelings.
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
Roger

Post by Roger »

Here's my opinion,whether you want it or not. Frank Hamer was one hell of a Texas Ranger. Bonnie and Clyde were murdering thieves. They got what they deserved,but in our society,people are obsessed with anything to do with famous outlaws(James gang,john dillinger gang) etc. Even my own sister's favorite movie is The Godfather, more murdering thieves.I personally would want some really rocksolid provenance before I laid out thousands of dollars for any famous criminals belongings,guns, etc.
Thanks for your time,(and i'm sure some of you are sorry you gave me any time)
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Maybe they should of had a gun buy back instead of a Auction, they could of got some criminals guns off the street. :lol:
I understand people wanting a piece of history and i guess that`s how we gotta look at it.
I`d rather have Frank Hammers gun though. :)

USAF-72-76
Roger

Post by Roger »

Me too,Pitchy . I know you are into win. Levers like me,and I have an old photo copy of Frank Hamer and his Texas Ranger partner from the late 1800 s. They are both holding new m-1894 Win. Srcarbines. Wouldn't that be a great piece to own? Frank Hamer's win. SRC94.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool, is there any way ya can post that picture.

USAF-72-76
Roger

Post by Roger »

My tablet computer won't post pics. It just sits and grinds for ever. It's the only one I have. I have emailed cameron pics to post for me before,but I would have to scan it in order to do that. I can't do that either without going to a print shop.I'll do what I can because it's a cool picture.I'm sure members here would enjoy it even without a m-8/81in it.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com