Shooting Times write up on the Model 8

Posts about the Model 8
texassako

Shooting Times write up on the Model 8

Post by texassako »

The October '12 issue has a little write up on these models and a short range test of his .30 Rem model. The tough part for me is where he says nice standards can still be found for less than $1000. I was hoping to get a shooter in .30 Rem, but maybe not if sellers start reaching for those kinds of prices for any kind of M8. They tend to remember the dollar amount but forget that it needs to be a nice one. He also mentioned the scarcity of brass, and I just encountered this problem trying to find 100 cases to resize into .25 Rem. Anybody else notice .30 Rem cases are a bit scarce these days? A year ago it seemed everywhere had some in stock. I guess I will not be cutting any of it down to 10mm Auto cases any time soon ;) .
canuck

Post by canuck »

Here in Canada, I've noticed prices on Model 8s and 81s steadily creeping up - not to the prices you mention (yet :!: ) - but a definite increase in interest and demand which shows in price.
I blame this website for causing everyone to suddenly want one :lol:

What I find more unusual is that there is an October issue of a gun rag out in August - never quite understood that??
Wildgoose

Re: Shooting Times write up on the Model 8

Post by Wildgoose »

texassako wrote: Anybody else notice .30 Rem cases are a bit scarce these days? A year ago it seemed everywhere had some in stock. I guess I will not be cutting any of it down to 10mm Auto cases any time soon ;) .
Me thinks that demand is up for both the rifles and the brass to shoot them and the supply has not increased. ;) Right now Graf and Sons has bulk 30 Rem for $55 a hundred. If interested might want to jump on some while it lasts.
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/cat ... goryId/742?
texassako

Post by texassako »

I think Remington is between .30 Rem production runs while the rifles are getting brought back out of the depths of closets, attics, and basements. I bought some from Grafs and Buffalo Arms, horrible QC from Remington in both lots. I don't like culling 5 per 100 when I get them with split necks and voids in the brass. It would have been even more, but I sized to .25 Rem and trimmed them short to get rid of the cracks. I wonder how many more splits will show up on the first firing. Maybe some interest and popularity will generate a run of decent brass from someone better.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

texassako wrote:I think Remington is between .30 Rem production runs while the rifles are getting brought back out of the depths of closets, attics, and basements. I bought some from Grafs and Buffalo Arms, horrible QC from Remington in both lots. I don't like culling 5 per 100 when I get them with split necks and voids in the brass. It would have been even more, but I sized to .25 Rem and trimmed them short to get rid of the cracks. I wonder how many more splits will show up on the first firing. Maybe some interest and popularity will generate a run of decent brass from someone better.
I just read where Jamison Brass, a company that recently went under, has been purchased by its former employees and will be put back in production. They were making many obsolete calibers. Mostly for the black powder cartridge guns and lever guns. Grafs has listed the 30 Rem lot they had as out of stock. Maybe there will be more to come. The shooters I have talked to that bought the Jamison stuff gave it good reviews.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

If anyone has a lathe and knows how to use it, .30 Rem cases can be made without too much trouble from .30-30 brass. I made a posting here on how I did it. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1229
Roger

Post by Roger »

Guys, my latest Buffalo arms catalogue shows that they have 30 rem. Brass still in stock. I don't have a clue if they still really have any or not. It's probably worth one phone call. Any obsolete m-8/81 brass will be expensive but my gut feeling is, buy it now, it's only gonna get more expensive sooner rather than later. This is just my humble opinion.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
texassako

Post by texassako »

Roger wrote:Guys, my latest Buffalo arms catalogue shows that they have 30 rem. Brass still in stock. I don't have a clue if they still really have any or not. It's probably worth one phone call. Any obsolete m-8/81 brass will be expensive but my gut feeling is, buy it now, it's only gonna get more expensive sooner rather than later. This is just my humble opinion.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
In a post above I talked about that R-P brass being really junky. Apparently a lot of the brass from R-P is pretty bad these days.
DWalt wrote:If anyone has a lathe and knows how to use it, .30 Rem cases can be made without too much trouble from .30-30 brass. I made a posting here on how I did it. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1229
I did not even think about converting brass, thanks for the tip. I may try some as I have time since I have a handful of range pick up from my last trip.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

If you do make up some .30 Rem from .30-30 brass, let us know how it went. I think I made up maybe 30 rounds that way, then bought 100 cases from that outfit in Oklahoma City (Reid's?), and found 40 more fired brass cases from the 1930s (in boxes) at a gun show. That 170 cases will be more than I anticipate I will ever need. I still use my .30-30 reloading die set for loading them.
texassako

Post by texassako »

Wildgoose wrote:I just read where Jamison Brass, a company that recently went under, has been purchased by its former employees and will be put back in production. They were making many obsolete calibers. Mostly for the black powder cartridge guns and lever guns. Grafs has listed the 30 Rem lot they had as out of stock. Maybe there will be more to come. The shooters I have talked to that bought the Jamison stuff gave it good reviews.
I was looking at Grafs site for some more .348 brass to make some 10.4 Italian and noticed .25, .30, and .32 Rem brass all list 2 products now; so I took a look. They now list Jamison brass with prices and a stock # in these calibers, but not in stock yet.
bluto

They are still out there

Post by bluto »

At a gun show this spring I just bought a Mod 8 in 32 Rem. Really nice with a Marbles R8 on the back. I walked out with it for $300.00 and a box of old Silver Tips. The price increase hasn't caught on up here yet. :P
texassako

Re: They are still out there

Post by texassako »

bluto wrote:At a gun show this spring I just bought a Mod 8 in 32 Rem. Really nice with a Marbles R8 on the back. I walked out with it for $300.00 and a box of old Silver Tips. The price increase hasn't caught on up here yet. :P

That is a pretty good deal. I think the .32 Rem Model 8's are the best deal going, and quite a few of them seem to have figured wood as well. They seem to go for a lot less than the other calibers, obsolete and unfashionable .32 caliber = deal.