How many reloaders do we have?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
texassako

How many reloaders do we have?

Post by texassako »

I was doing an inventory this weekend and realized I collect calibers as well as guns, and I only started reloading 3 years ago. Amazing how it opens up a whole new selection of shootable guns. How many reloaders do we have here, since only the .35 Rem and .300 Savage are factory loaded? My list came up with 16 cartridges I load for and putting together the tools/components for 4 more. The most common and recognizable is my .25-06 for my Sako hunting rifle and the most obscure would have to be my 9.4 Dutch revolver that required brass conversion, finding a custom bullet mold, and learning how to load for BP (no wonder it looked almost new).
Sarge756

Re: How many reloaders do we have?

Post by Sarge756 »

Think we have a bunch here and also some fence sitters.....Hear me Mitch?.... Won`t tell you that you`ll save a lot of bucks but it does allow you to customize a round for your rifle.Some rifles like a particular load and don`t shoot worth a hoot with others. Don`t load anything as obscure as the Dutch pistol but do several that require brass forming and custom die sets. Most obscure I load for is a 280 Ross and some metric stuff in some stalking rifles. If you are not reloading you are missing some fun.With the future as uncertain as it is I believe it is a good idea to be prepared to keep our guns going bang.Without the bang they are just unwieldy clubs.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Count me in, only load 44 mag and 45-70, 45-60,30-30 right now but may have to get some 35 Rem dies one of these days.
Been making my own bullets and loading for about 30 years
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Reloading in my experience has been a rewarding extension of the pleasures of shooting, collecting, companionship, friendly competition on the range, gaining knowledge of history past and present, a way to spend cold winter days when unsuitable conditions prevail outside. Factory ammo is good and constantly gets better in part because of experimenting by reloaders and seldom will 2 equal models and calibers perform equally with any given load. There is many powders, primers, bullets, cases and other components from which to choose. Bullet casting and making is an art in itself. Black powder is a challenge and last time I checked some long range scores from many years ago were still tops in record books. All in all reloading is an important part of this game and worth the effort. Jerry
Roger

Post by Roger »

No one told me it would be addictive when I started ,but it is. I've been reloading about ten yrs. Now and do about 25. Calibers so far. It all'started because I needed to load 33 wcf @ 41 long colt to be able to shoot some guns I had collected. Then it just became a mission for me because, as our members have already stated, every gun has a favorite load. Many hrs. At the shooting range and many hrs. At the reloading bench have proven that to me beyond any shadow of a doubt. Now much of the fun of collecting, si working up loads for every gun I own and all the new guns I aquire. It's very satisfying to finally find that perfect load for every gun. I would recommend it as a good pastime for any member here who loves guns and shooting. Testing loads does require quite. A bit of time, but it all'seems worth it to me and very rewarding.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Well its been about thirty eight years reloading. Twenty eight calibers rifle and pistol together. Two shotshell guages (20/12). And another aspect that goes along with reloading. How much lead ya got piled around and how many bullet moulds? Addiction? I ain't got no stinkin addiction! :lol:
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Huh? "also some fence sitters.....Hear me Mitch?...." Wonder what ole Sarge756 is talking about?
BTW: the Chrony looks brand new, even the battery still works... :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

She never mentions the word addiction,in certain company.( Black Crows)
At least we're all in good company here!!
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

As you may have surmised Mitch is sanding my behind about a like new Chrony that he scored behind the scenes on another forum we visit. He is out of excuses now.....I know he can load 300 Sav ...cause I sent him dies,brass and I think some bullets.As you always say" Imfuncity" we are waiting for pictures..waiting ....waiting. Time to get off that fence.
Joe :lol:
norm

Post by norm »

Been reloading since 1976 and now am up to 23 cartidges. that is less than it used to be since I've sold or traded several rifles and pistols. I cast bullets for all of them which does keep the cost down or so I tell myself. Is lying to myself really a sin or just stupidity?
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

And, got 30Rem dies from Sighthound; read the instructions on the Chrony; and have in mind doing something reloading wise... does that count? :roll: ;)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Imfuncity,that is a good start .I`m anxious to hear the results with the Chrony. Bit the bullet and found one with free shipping so we can compare notes soon. You will know you are heading toward an addiction when your shop begins to look like the photo .I never have to worry about what to do on a rainy weekend.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_3696.JPG
IMG_3696.JPG (91.23 KiB) Viewed 26510 times
IMG_3696.JPG
IMG_3696.JPG (91.23 KiB) Viewed 27063 times
Last edited by Sarge756 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Ordered some dies and 220 grain FN bullets today :)

USAF-72-76
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Any pet loads?
I`m going to use 4198 powder and start with a jacketed 220 grain bullet but haven`t looked up any loads yet.
Anyone shootin cast bullets?

Found this chart, maybe start at 27-28 grains.

220 GR. SPR FN Hodgdon H4198 .358" 2.470" 26.0 1744 30,400 CUP 29.0 1867 33,400 CUP

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

USAF-72-76
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Pitchy, That sounds like an interesting load for the 35 . I`ve never loaded anything heavier than 200gr Core-Lokts or Hornady RN for my 35`s. Pressure is fine with that load and should be a very effective hunting round with recoil in the tame area. The load I like most is the 200gr RN with 37.5 grs of BLC-2. Accuracy is good and I can live with the recoil. I`ll have to look into the heavier bullets that you are using. Let us know how they do.

Joe
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Sarge, i`ve never reloaded for the 35 so i`m not sure what is safe max in these 81s.
Is the max load i posted of 29 grains of 4198 too hot for these actions?
I would probably ordered 200 grain bullets but Graft was out of stock.
My dies and bullets won`t be in until middle of next week then i`ll load up a few and see if i can hit the barn door at 20 yards. :lol:

USAF-72-76
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Any of the loads on the page you are using are well below the max chamber pressure for an 81. We`ve discussed this issue before when talking about the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. Consensus was that max chamber pressure for an 81 in 300 Savage was 46,000+. So load away and do some experimenting to see which load gives you the best accuracy and don`t be too concerned about breaking your 81.They are pretty tough.
Joe
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Alrighty then, thanks. 8-) :)

USAF-72-76
norm

Post by norm »

pitchy, I cast my own bullets and for the 35 Remington the RCBS 35-200-FN is the no. 1 cast bullet. I won't quote any powder charges since my log book is a long way away, but a velocity of 1900 fps at the muzzle will work the action rather smartly.
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Norm, wonder if Lee has that mold so wouldn`t be quite as spendy.
I`d like to load up some pointed bullets for this gun also, must of been one of the reasons the rifle became so popular with the Rangers.
Longer ranges and more penetration through metal had to play into it because the lever gun held more rounds.

USAF-72-76
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

I ordered a couple hundred of those gas checked 200 grainers , at 18 bucks a 100 couldn`t pass em up.
I`m going to post a range report in the 81 forum after i get some ammo loaded up and try them out. :)

USAF-72-76
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

I'm loading the 45/70, 40/65, 25/20, 250 savage, 300 win mag, 7x57, 223, 38 spl & 357 mag, 45 acp, 44 mag.
Casting bullets as well.
oldschool
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Range report here.

Removed.
There seems to be varying opinions about the differences between H4198 and IMR4198, i was under the opinion they are the same powder different manufactor.
Anyway my range report may be taken wrong so its best i remove it.
Thanks

USAF-72-76
olskool

Post by olskool »

Image45 years of it
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
olskool

Post by olskool »

Image and then some.........
texassako

Post by texassako »

olskool, that is a very nice reloading room and wish I had that kind of space. Maybe one day.
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

With a shop like this a guy would have to be very hungry to answer call to dinner. Very nice!!!
olskool

Post by olskool »

i do miss some meals......
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I thank you for the pic. I have not started YET. This will help me get a start on a set up. Perhaps help convince the wife that I need a new shop to.... (OK, maybe not.)
Alatheia

Post by Alatheia »

I've reloaded since 1990 and have cast bullets since 2000. I reload for 13+ cartridges and cast for about half of those. I reload the 35 rem more than anything else. I have a Lee 6 hole mold that cast a 200 grain rn. It was a group buy with the cast bullet association if I remember correctly. It is not in the Lee catalog. It casts at about .360" Good bullet and it's the only one I use in the 35. That and some surplus 4895 make for a good load.

David
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

olskool, That is one handsome shop. I`d have a bunk,a TV and a small fridge and never have to come inside. Wouldn`t take much to convince the wife as she`s been trying to get me out of the den with all my projects for years. Somehow she doesn`t believe the wood chips and such from stock work and checkering are not dirt. Good luck Mitch ,I know you will get started sometime.How are you going to shoot that 22-250 AI unless you do ?
Joe
Roger

Post by Roger »

Olskool, my reload area isn't nearly so nice. Congrats on such a well organized shop. My basement area is kind of spread out but functional. Maybe when the little woman and I retire, i'll have more time to re-organize.
Thanks for your time
Rog
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
coop923

Post by coop923 »

That's an awfully impressive setup olskool!

Been reloading about 25 years -started so I could afford to shoot the oddball calibers I somehow gravitate towards. Started with .44 mag (not oddball, I know) and .45-70 (before they became popular again) .30 Remington, 7x57, .356 Winchester, 6.5x55, .22 Hornet, .32 H&R and added a bunch of more common calibers along the way. I really enjoy it and would do a lot more of it if I wasn't working in a hole in the ground:

I do have something in the works that'll allow me to work in a much more present setting. I'll post when I get it together.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I certainly hope your new "setting" includes something better then that red seat! :lol:
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I have a box of spent 30 rem that was reloads that are in great shape and a full box of 35 rem facotory load spent shells for the next person that response to this post.. They are free since I do not reload. My dad said he never did golf, because he was afraid he would like it. I feel the same about reloading. Send me $5.00 and I will ship them right out.
Free is a good price.

Robopump
Roger

Post by Roger »

I'll be glad to send you some money for them. Email me, and I'll give you my address and Ph.# Then you can give me an address to mail the money to.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

This may be of some interest to you guys that reload.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =328999305

Robopump
keltg

Post by keltg »

started reloading in 1994 about 5 minutes after spending 45.00 on a box of Norma 6.5x55 139 grain. That was my first caliber, now its up to .44 Rem Mag, 30-30 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, .308 Win, .270 Win, 22 Hornet, .357 Mag, .38 special, 25-35 Win, 6.5x54 MS, 303 British, Soon to add 35 Rem, and 7.62x54R. I also have people that drop in with their dies, brass, lead, primers and powder and just need my time. Always happy to take on the challenge of working up a firearms sweet load.
Kel
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Tip for those avid reloaders: Imperial Sizing die wax is great!!
It prevents those nasty times the shellholder rips the rim off a case.
Just a tiny amount on the fingers will lube several cases; the "wax" protects die internals from rust, a quick wipe with a rag removes it from sized cases, the cases look polished, I have yet to have a case stick using this. Be sure you don't leave any on cases, it can "lube a chamber!!
It also works for swaging jacketed bullets. try it. :ugeek:
Phyrbird
SOKY
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Since many of us have used a few 22 rim fire ammo this link provides a look at how these are made by the millions. http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/video ... n-is-made/
At gun show here this weekend some asking prices for brick of 22 ammo is $75 per brick. Apparently since feds control trash has hit our once proud and free nation and many freedom lovers are stocking up on everything, dealers are sold out, backordered and scalpers reaping a harvest.
TMB

Post by TMB »

Yes I reload its the only way I can keep shooting my 30 Remington rifles. :)
30Gov03

Post by 30Gov03 »

I have been a reloader and a bullet caster since the early 1970s: thirty rifle cartridges; fourteen pistol and revolver cartridges; two shotshell gauges.
I think that's all, but I've probably missed one or two.

Jim