I could no longer resist!.... UPDATE!!!

New Member Introductions
AKC

I could no longer resist!.... UPDATE!!!

Post by AKC »

Hi folks!

Couldn't stand it any longer. I've been looking for one good rifle for a while. I've had them all, you name it. Got tired of it all, pretty much gave up on guns. More into knives now.

Fell back to one revolver, an SAA in .44 Special, it does what I need it to. But I still wanted a rifle. Didn't want to go the same cal/lever gun route. Looked hard at bolt actions, nope. Single shots? Well, they're alright , I suppose.... I've had a few.

Was seriously considering a BAR, just didn't ring for me. Then I remembered a Remington I had looked into a long time ago. What was it? Oh yeah, the 81.

Started to search around, found this site, looked around a bit and knew I had to have one. In .35 of course. I don't reload, so factory it'll have to be for a while.

Actually picked up the 2A Lyman peep first, NIB w/screw and blank for the barrel sight.

Then it's find a rifle. GB was my friend. Got this unmolested specimen for a decent price, a little high. But I didn't care. It's my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine....

I wish I had better pics, but it's still on the way to me. It's not a rifle one runs across here very often, and I've spent about 25 years helping out in a friends gunstore.

Thanks for all the great gouge so far, I'm sure there will be questions in the future....
Last edited by AKC on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Signature"
imfuncity

Re: I could no longer resist!....

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome, you are official in - INfected with the 8/81-itis your next "Mine" is just waiting to be found. (Silly gun guy, resistance is futile. :twisted: )
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

AKC - welcome to the 8/81 website :) You scored with that 81, it looks VERY nice.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
AKC

Post by AKC »

Thanks guys.

It's not perfect, probably needs a good cleaning.

And the wood finish will probably be gently redone. (NO sanding)

But it hasn't seen a lot of abuse. Or been subjected to "Bubbaism"

We'll see how it turns out....

Nice, unfiddled with screws, always a good sign....
Last edited by AKC on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Signature"
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey, welcome aboard. You're in the right place for m-8/81 fanatics. I should know cause I am one! Your m-81 looks real nice so i think you did OK on gunbroker. It's hard to say from the pics you posted, but the wood looks OK to me from what I can see. Unless it's 50% or less I wouldn't do anything to it. But that's just my opinion. Congrats on a real good aquisition.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
gcp

Post by gcp »

AKC said "I could no longer resist!...." I know exactly what you mean my friend but don't fret it, yours is a good looking rifle, all that remains is to enjoy it!
gcp
AKC

Post by AKC »

Just picked up the rifle - Boy Howdy!, did I do good. If I paid too much, I don't care.

It's in better shape than the pics showed, totally original.

A few minor scratches on the receiver. I have a few minor scratches myself, we go together....

I think I'm just going to leave the wood alone, give it a good cleaning and shoot it.

Oh happy day!!!
"Signature"