Browning A5 12 gauge

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
ctgodog

Browning A5 12 gauge

Post by ctgodog »

Just wanted to share....I found a Belgium Browning A5 12 Gauge at my local gun shop a few months ago. It has a 28" solid rib full choke barrel, and is in pristine condition. I would rate it as about a 90% gun....great bluing and only a couple small scratches in the butt stock, and the bore is nice and shinny. Mfg date is 1950, and the safety is in the front of the trigger guard. It was at the shop on consignment for $450, and I kept checking on it for about 3-4 months. I finally made the guy a offer of $275, and he accepted that. Everything I see on Gun "BROKER" that is even close in condition, is starting out in the $500-800 range. I am really pleased with my new toy.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
imfuncity

Re: Browning A5 12 gauge

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed, you are getting it now... a diagnosis of JMB Fever is just a few buys away. (Send me your address, I'll have wife draw MORE blood to confirm. ;) ) And a great buy too.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

Congrats on your latest purchase! I've been an avid Auto-5 collector for about 30 yrs. Now. I learned about the A-5 from an old school collector back in the beginning days of my career who had been serious about the A-5@ win. M-42 since the mid 50 s. He had finally set himself to specializing on 20 guage guns. I have enjoyed all of them-12-16-20 guage. But now i'm more into 16@20 s. Your guns configuration was one that was really popular in the 30 s- 50 s. Later on the mod. ,impr.cyl.,vent rib barrels became more popular. I own several solid rib guns that I would never part with. To find any gauge solid rib gun, in 90% plus cond. Today is great! They are getting harder and harder to find now. Sounds like eyou made an excellent buy on it too. Take it out and shoot clays or hunt birds with it. By all means use it, take good care of it though,and enjoy a gun made in a long tradition of excellence, at. FN in Belgium. They truly aren't made like that any more.
Have some fun,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Great find, suprised it stayed in store so long, would never happen here and from book and auction prices you made very favorable purchase. According to Shirley & Vanderlinden book, your gun was the last year safety is at front of trigger guard, although wartime American Brownings had crossbolt safety at rear of guard.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I know a guy who has a mint in the box FN 12 Ga. from the early 50's .... it ain't cheap but if sounds like something that might interest anyone .... PM me. Dennis
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Sighthound,

You are correct....I have an American Browning 16 gauge with the solid rib barrel, and it has the safety at the rear of the trigger guard.

Mitch, No need to draw the blood,....I know I have the JMB fever.

Roger, Even my Rem Model 11, 12 gauge has the solid rib barrel. I think I like that configuration the best.
Only my newer Rem 1100, and 1187 have the vent rib barrels.

I sent the Rem Model 11, 12 gauge, (which was originally a 28" full choke barrel, that someone cut down to 24"), to Bob Daly @ R & D Custom Barrels, in Pico Rivera, Ca, and he installed some screw in chokes for me. He did a nice job, and I had the barrel back in less than a week. If anyone is in need of custom work on their shotguns, I highly recommend they get in touch with him. Really nice guy!
He has a website with all his information there.

Clint
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

JMB fever?!? Gee, a 1911 (zctually 2 if count my son's), an A5 clone (Diawa) and just got the Rem 81! Yeah, ok, gues so!

Now all I need is a BAR!!!!
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Two BAR's.... one 243, and one 7mm Mag.

Clint
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

No wonder Brownings and Remingtons are getting so hard to find, you guys have most of them, jerry
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I'll take a BAR - make mine a 270... :twisted:

Sure Jerry, I am real concerned for you... I saw how "limited" your collection is! :o :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

don't get me started on BAR's, they're up there with the 8/81 on my affection list!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

I agree Cam....I have been shooting the BAR's for over 40 years....I do believe they are the modern version of the 8/81's!!!
I would venture to say that 30-50 years from now, we will be collecting BAR's like we are the 8/81's now. I just hope I can still lift and shoot a gun at that age.....lol!!!!

Clint
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

oscarflytyer wrote:JMB fever?!? Gee, a 1911 (zctually 2 if count my son's), an A5 clone (Diawa) and just got the Rem 81! Yeah, ok, gues so!

Now all I need is a BAR!!!!
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! You guys TOTALLY misunderstood!!!!

I MEANT a military BAR machine gun!!! Got to shoot one once, and wish I could afford one! prob the coolest gun I ever shot!
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"I MEANT a military BAR machine gun!!! Got to shoot one once, and wish I could afford one! prob the coolest gun I ever shot!"

Just for the record - I HATE YOU GUYS IN THE FREE STATES! (An 8/81 is very close to being classified as an "assault weapon" here.) :evil: