New member with an unusual Model 8

New Member Introductions
psp6785

New member with an unusual Model 8

Post by psp6785 »

Just picked up my Model 8 on Monday and sure glad I found this site. These guns are not very common around here, (PA), since you can't hunt with a semi-auto in this state. My rifle is in what I would consider excellent condition. The serial # is 510**, with a date code on the Bbl of PT which I believe puts it in June of 1926. It has the straight, uncheckered stock and is a .35 Rem.

Now for the unusual part. I bought this gun from a police dept. and it transferred to me on a Form 5. I was also give the original Form 1 that was completed by the dept. in 1964. This Model 8 is papered as a transferrable machinegun. I haven't fired it yet but I don't believe that it actually fires full auto. Hand cycling it, I have to release the trigger between pulls to dry fire it again. I'm guessing they just didn't know what they had and registered it. I hope to get to the range in the next few days and fire it. Anyone here ever heard of any others like this?
81police

Re: New member with an unusual Model 8

Post by 81police »

psp6785,

I've had some experience and done a little research on Police related Model 8's & 81's and have never heard of one on the NFA registry. I'm VERY interested, if you're willing to share photographs, of this Class 3 Model 8. It's hard to imagine why a department (or anyone) would convert a standard Model 8 into a machine gun, they're hard enough to control semi-auto. I have wondered if there was ever an 8/81 w/ 15 round magazine as a registered machine gun but it sounds like you have a cool piece of history. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator