Metric designation for .35 Remington

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
.35 Rem Fan

Metric designation for .35 Remington

Post by .35 Rem Fan »

Don't know if you will think this an odd first post or not. To date I haven't been able to buy Henline's book which could answer this question. I glanced at the link to the FN 1900 outtake and it only raised more questions. Here is the question, sort of.

I have always had the idea that the FN 1900 production pre-dated the Remington Model 8, at least in .35 Remington. From the short outtake from Henline it would seem the FN 1900 in .35 Remington was not introduced until 1911. Is that correct?

Now the real question. If the .35 was the first introduced cartridge for the series, Remington and FN, was it originally in the Remington in 1906, or the FN at an earlier date? Does anyone have any idea what the actual Metric designation for the .35 Remington is/was? I spent a couple of hours one night trying to answer this on the internet but was unable to resolve the question. If anyone knows or has a link to a reference, please, no guesses, I would really appreciate it.
Hardrada55

Re: Metric designation for .35 Remington

Post by Hardrada55 »

So far I've seem the following metric designations for the .35 Remington:

9x48 Browning
9x49 (seems to be most common metric description)
8.86x49 (off a swedish site)
8.9x49 (again swedish)
9.1x49 (leverguns website, story was about a guy who saw a Belgian bolt action rifle in Viet-nam, back in the day.)
9mm Don Gonzalo (Municion.org)
and I remember reading where it was described as a "9x63.5mm", which it totally crazy. They were measuring the whole cartridge, bullet and all and not just the case.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
.35 Rem Fan

Re: Metric designation for .35 Remington

Post by .35 Rem Fan »

Thank you both. Trying to find information on the cartridge on the internet was really a frustrating experience. The only reference to 9mm Browning I found were the 9mm Browning Long pistol cartridge.

I might not be around a lot, but this is a very interesting site about one of the most interesting sporting rifles there ever was IMO. What amazes me about them is how accurate they, at least some, can be. My first .35 Model 81 shot more than one close to 1" 5 shot group at 200 yds, and that with cast bullets and factory sights. (My eyes were a lot better25 yrs ago!) It didn't even have what most would consider a good or even acceptable bore.