Another FN to the Stable

jack1653

Another FN to the Stable

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

Another severe re-occurance of "jackitis" has got me in the past couple of weeks. I have found some pretty good rifles and among them is one nice FN. After a long search for a plain barrel FN 1900, I have been successful in locating one and it has been added to the collection. I have sent pictures to 81police to post for me. Once the pictures are posted, I will add comments. It has an altered forearm and I'll be interested in the comments from any of you about the purpose of the alteration.

Depending on the feedback from 81police, he may post some additional pictures in the other threads.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Re: Another FN to the Stable

Post by 81police »

Here's some pics of Jack's beauty :)
Attachments
DSC_3098.JPG
DSC_3098.JPG (33.28 KiB) Viewed 10538 times
DSC_3078.JPG
DSC_3078.JPG (56.28 KiB) Viewed 10536 times
DSC_3073.JPG
DSC_3073.JPG (43.14 KiB) Viewed 10536 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

Jack, Another nice FN with lots of blue and a nice stock. The no rib rifles are certainly fewer and farther between. I think the ribs are one of the great things about the FN's, but the no ribbed are rarer. I have seen a few rifles with similar alterations or chunks missing from the forearms, both FN's and Remington's. I doubt there was any intentional reason or benefit for doing this other than reacting to splits and breaks. As you know, lots of these springpoles have cracked forearms and some end up with chunks missing from multiple splits. I think somone cleaned up a jagged break or chunk missing with a little custom alteration. Too bad, as the rest of the rifle is great. I'm glad you got this one, it's in a good home amongst friends.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
ranman

Post by ranman »

Jack you have one fine rifle.I think the front stock could be repaired and you would never know as it is on the underside. I think this would be a great addition to any collection. Good find.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

There are guys around that can do unbelievable repairs on wood. There is one such guy here in Texas that has repaired some horribly damaged wooden handgun grips for me so that they look like they just came from the factory - even those with missing pieces and deep gouges. I don't think he works on anything other than handgun grips. Some of the earlier original wooden handgun grips have reached stratospheric prices, to the extent that professional restoration of badly damaged handgun grips makes economic sense in comparison to buying replacement grips.
canuck

Post by canuck »

Nice rifle Jack - how many is that now?!
Personally, I wouldn't bother to try to restore the forearm - I think its part of the personality and history of the gun.
Even if you did restore it, it would still be "bubba'd" - that is to say, not original.
I think she's a beauty just the way she is 8-)
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the compliments and information. I typically don't do anything to the rifles that go in to the collection. Exceptions to this would be to add a missing sight or handle bushing. If I think the wood has a poor refinish, I may strip and apply tung oil. Original finishes are never redone.

Canuck, I now have seven of the FN's and looking to get an even dozen. I am always looking and will make offers on any that somebody may want to sell. 81police once asked me, "How many is enough?" My reply was I hope I don't find out! :lol:

Regards,

jack1653
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

There's a huge difference between a Bubba job and a professional restoration (besides cost). A truly professional restoration of wood and metal can result in turning a basket case gun into one that can be worth as much as an original in the same condition - like Turnbull's work. Whether the cost of having a professional forend restoration performed makes sense under any particular individual's circumstances and desires is another story.

The last pair of Colt target grips I had brought back from the dead. These were ready for the dumpster, but I don't have a "before" picture for comparison to show how bad they were. Definitely not a Bubba job, and for less than half the price of a pair of good-condition used original grips.

jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Dwalt,

I agree with your statement about the restoration vs "bubba-fix". There is avast difference in not only the quality but as you accurately state also in price. I have paid the price before to get something really special fixed and I didn't mind because I wanted it done right. Such is not the case with the FN, at least not at this point. If it were the only one out there and it could be made to look original, then I might consider it. I may get lucky again one of these days and find another plain barrel that is in better shape but until then, I am content with this one.

Regards,

jack1653
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I wouldn't go for a full restoration on anything that wasn't both unusual and valuable enough to justify the substantial cost. However, there are many of those with enough moolah to afford such work to keep the restoration shops busy. In the case of your FN, I might go as far as determining what the cost of professional wood restoration might be.

If you ever watch the History Channel show "American Restoration," you'll see some breathtaking prices asked for what appear to be relatively simple restorations of all sorts of mundane items. The most recent episode featured a guy who brought in a Revolutionary War-era Charleville flintlock musket for restoration, but thankfully the decision was made to leave it alone due to its historical significance.
81police

Post by 81police »

I think its pretty neat that someone hand stamped the barrel extension with the caliber in similar fashion to a Remington factory roll stamp. I think that FN is very nice.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator