Barn Find

New Member Introductions
Donofish

Barn Find

Post by Donofish »

Hello Group,
I am New to Group and New To Model 8.

I found a Model 8 with an early serial number 6819 looks to be from 1907 ??, has some surface rust but looks to be all there.

There are no markings on the receiver except for the serial number on the under side, looks to have a circled P also.

I found it was a model 8, then found this site by first Googling Browning by Remington, from the Patent info on the barrel.

32 Rem., has ramp sights and a peep sight.

the action seems to work, still need to disassemble and clean it up.

How should I proceed in cleaning off the exterier rust, to restore and preserve?

I would also like an idea of what this rifle is worth, I paid $20.00 at a yard sale in So. Cal. The lady said it had been up in the rafters of the barn!!

Thanks for your help,
Donovan
Attachments
P1030833.JPG
P1030833.JPG (153.34 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
P1030828.JPG
P1030828.JPG (150.45 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
P1030831.JPG
P1030831.JPG (150.38 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
Packmule

Re: Barn Find

Post by Packmule »

Welcome to the Model 8 mad house! What a great find and a steal of a deal.
If you have any questions about our rifle just ask lots of model 8 guys here
willing to help and welcome again.
Happy Shooting,
RMJ

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Actually, that rear sight alone is worth much more than you paid for the rifle. I wouldn't attempt a re-blue. Just get some kerosene and wipe it down thoroughly. Some penetrating oils also work well, and some people recommend a product called Kroil - but I don't know anything about that. Wood looks pretty good, you might also wipe it down with something like mineral spirits and wax it. How is it mechanically? Bore condition? A good stroke of luck for you.
Donofish

Post by Donofish »

I have been up in the air about weather to restore the old 8 or just enjoy it in it's current brown state....

I cleaned the bore last night and it looks suprisingly good!!

The outer spring tube does have a split about 1.5" long on the nut end, does anyone have a source for an early replacement?
What should I expect to pay for a new tube? Tube & barrell?

When I pull the slide all the way back, it wont stay upen unless I trip the lever on the side... is this normal or is there a weak or broken spring?

Dwalt, you memtioned the rear sight are you refering to the ramp sight or the peep sight? Are they both add-ons?

I noticed three Knotches on the underside of the front stock, Deer Hunter!!

Thanks For your help,
Donovan
Attachments
P1030830.JPG
P1030830.JPG (149.35 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
Roger

Post by Roger »

Welcome to the forum for us m-8/81 nutcases. I'm sure your peep sight is worth 60 to 80$ even in it's rusted state. As for your rifle( which you stole by the way) my humble opinion is to oil it up nicely and leave it alone. A product called Liquid-wrench works over time to eat the rust away. Don't do much to your wood except tung oil or linseed oil lightly @ carefully. I use a product like steelwool,by a company called Big45 Frontier metal cleaner. Look for it at. Www.BIG45METALCLEANER.com. this product will help with the rust removal,but don't use it on the wood. Sorry i'm new to the computer. If I can be of any more assistance,please just ask. I've got about 30 yrs. Experience with low impact refurbishing work on Browning's,Remington,Winchester,@ Colts,@ collecting all of them.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I'd say the peep might bring a little more than $80. I don't know what to suggest about the tube split. It might be repairable by welding, but one would probably have to re-cut the female bushing threads, and I don't know how well that would work out. A replacement tube would be the best solution if you can find one. A short piece of larger diameter thin-walled tubing could be sweated over the split area, but the front sight would have to be removed and replaced. Plus it would look strange. You should tear into the action and clean it well anyway (not a difficult job and there are some instructions and a video on this site) and you could see if everything is there and intact. The bolt should lock back if the magazine is empty.