Needing a buttplate

Items wanted
oldschool

Needing a buttplate

Post by oldschool »

For a 81. Just got this rifle in excellent shape but the wood is mismatched & the stock looks as if it was used at the Alamo. I'm refinishing the wood & would like a nice butt plate.
Thanks.
oldschool
Roger

Re: Needing a buttplate

Post by Roger »

Old school, is your stock for an 81 or8? I have a line on repro plates for an 8. I also see those 81 aluminum checked plates at gunshows here in Iowa on a somewhat regular basis. Which leads Me to believe they may have been used on other Remington rifles(700,s) etc. I may be able to find you an 81 plate at our next fairgrounds guns how here in Des Moines. It's in Two wks. I'll keep my eyes out for you if you want me to. Just let me know.
Raw4555@gmail.com.
Thanks
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Roger, this rifle is an 81 & it has what appears to be an aluminum butt plate painted black. The ser. # is inscribed underneath the plate. Were the butt plates typically painted black?
This is checkered with "Remington" across the back of it.
Thanks.
oldschool
Roger

Post by Roger »

M-81 plates were indeed checkered aluminum. They were colored black but I don't know the process thathwas used. The very early ones were checkered steel @ blued. Some were serial # ed to the guns but I don't know the percentage. Obviously yours was. If it's in OK shape, then my suggestion would be to keep it on the gun. Be careful not to sand down your stock below the metal in the tang/receiver area,if you decide to refinish it yorself. Unless it's really bad, I would leave it alone.These are just my own opinions, but I have 30 yrs. Of collecting experience behind those opinions. I don't like to re-do wood unless it's in less than 40% condition. But you might personally want to make it look better. Do what feels right to you. Bottom line is,have fun @ enjoy your m-81!! They're addictive.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Roger, I am going to take your advice & enjoy it as it is.
It functions perfectly & the barrel sights are dead on. It'll be the first rifle I take into the bush come deer season this fall.
Thanks.
oldschool
Roger

Post by Roger »

That's awesome! I'm glad I could be of asistance. I'd like to tell you that I really enjoy hunting here in Iowa with my m-8/81s. We have a does only season in Jan. With rifles in certain counties. I do that season w/my sons every year. It's our only rifle legal season here. But its a blast each year.Have fun with that gun @ remember that I told you, they're addictive!! I see some more in your near future!!
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com