Howdy

New Member Introductions
Elvis

Howdy

Post by Elvis »

Hi Everybody,
I've been enjoying the forum for a few years now. I have my Granddad's Model 81 in .300 savage (handed down from my Dad) and have a Model 81 Special Police on the way. I was very fortunate to find one from an individual who's had it in his family since the early sixties. I can hardly wait to get it. I've loved the lines of these guns since I was 12 years old and shot it for the first time. I think my shoulder was sore for a week! I'll post some pictures when I get my new gun.
81police

Re: Howdy

Post by 81police »

Elvis,

You're very welcome to the forum. We'd love to hear (me particularly, haha) more about your Special Police rifle. You gotta share some pictures of it too! Very exciting.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I really enjoyed the article you've posted about the POE conversions. It really helped when I ran across the guys ad, and was able to confirm to myself it is authentic. It is from Kentucky State Highway Patrol serial #13XXX in M81 .35 rem.

My Grandfather had a model 81 in .35 rem as well.
81police

Post by 81police »

Elvis,

Your Special Police didn't happen to come out of Florida did it? I have some information on a Kentucky State Highway Patrol 81 #1369X. I'd love to talk about it, PM or email me if you'd like.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
tx81

Post by tx81 »

81police wrote:Elvis,

Your Special Police didn't happen to come out of Florida did it? I have some information on a Kentucky State Highway Patrol 81 #1369X. I'd love to talk about it, PM or email me if you'd like.
It the stories don't get personal, I know that I'd like to hear about it, too. Once y'all get together, can y'all decide if the story can be shared with the rest of us???
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

/\ What he said. /\ :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I got the gun the evening before I left for vacation. It is pretty good. Looks like it has been enjoyed (shot) in the course of its' life plenty. The blueing is worn right at the breech, but otherwise in good shape. The stock looks pretty good, but the forearm appears to have had an attempt to refinish it. The magazine has a matching serial number and fits well. Overall I am pretty stoked. :D My kids are already pestering me to get out to the shooting range.
The story was that I was not the first guy to try to purchase the gun. The seller was an older gentleman who needed extra time and patience to work out the details of the transfer. I worked with him for over a month, but it all turned out well and I believe it has been worth the effort.
I'll be posting photos this weekend.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I can hardly wait for the "reat of the story"!! :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

not much else of the story, the rifle was posted on a public forum for sale that I had come across. I had heard the seller was not very willing to sell out of state, he wanted a local pickup. I received a few pictures of the rifle, definitely authentic. Nice find, we can't wait to see your pictures!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Well I am back. Been dealing with some ill father in law issues and things have finally settled down enough for me to slip out to the shooting range and shoot 40 rounds in my gun. WOW! What a treat to shoot. Not as much kick as my .300 savage, but pretty accurate at 100 yards. All but a few in the black. Now I've got to make the effort to get the photos. One thing I did notice is it misfed a couple of times with just a few rounds left in the clip. It happened three times with the Winchester Ammo and once with the remington ammo. Could the mag spring be getting tired after 70 years? I was loading 10 rounds in it each time. Overall, I could not be happier. :D
81police

Post by 81police »

Great stuff Elvis :) We can't wait to see photographs.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I was loading 10 rounds in it each time.
I hate you! :twisted: And, the rest of you "Police" guys. ;)
Not only has the "Police" dream become a nightmare but as the prices continue to go up, even moving out of enemy territory won't help me!!
Need those pictures... to fan the flame! 8-)
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Finally! Family matters had to take priority over fun. Here are my promised pictures. I was just at the range this past weekend and had a great time shooting it. My kids both had a chance to shoot it and enjoyed it as well.
P5310198.JPG
P5310198.JPG (31.37 KiB) Viewed 10108 times
Attachments
P5310197.JPG
P5310197.JPG (15.46 KiB) Viewed 10107 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Very nice! But, indeed it is only a gun - not like real family. Enjoy the family and keep shooting. 8-)
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Very nice looking rifle. I'm kind of jealous! I thought I really had something when I got my Model 81 35 Rem with the Krieger conversion. But this is even more rare.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
81police

Post by 81police »

A great find Elvis! I don't believe Kentucky Hwy Patrol ordered many of these rifles from Remington. They're one of the more uncommon departments we know that purchased the "Special Police" Model 81.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator