New Model 8 owner

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
JohnP

New Model 8 owner

Post by JohnP »

We've inherited a Model 8 from my son's great grandfather with a straight grip serial # 24xxx. He was a game warden in Wyoming in the 20's and '30s. The Breach is marked .25-35 but it shoots .25 Rem, . He must have bought it used, as the SN appears to put the date of mfg around 1912. I have to say, I'd never heard of the Model 8, and pulling it out of the case for the first time it looked odd and weird. No markings on the gun except on the barrel shroud Fortunately I ended up here to learn something about it and its history. I have to say, it's simplicity and practicality and novel technology for the time have given me a new appreciation for JM Browning. Though a bit on the heavy side the barrel shroud actually gives the gun a nice balance when shooting it. It is well used and clearly was a 'carry gun', a tool of the trade and treated as such. Stock is worn and dinged with a hairline crack. Only traces of bluing remain on the receiver, none on the barrel except under the forestock. The barrel shroud is scratched and litely surface pitted all over with one shallow dent underneath and a crudely done field repair brazing the shroud to the flange where it had apparently cracked at one point. It is fully functional. Came with 5 boxes of original Rem .25, and shot half a box to watch it work. Bore is only in fair condition, no pitting but rifling is well worn -- still punches round holes where you point it, though. The original rear sight was removed and replaced with a Marbles adjustable rear peep sight on :D the receiver, a common addition it seems. But sentimental value aside, it truly is a piece of uniquely American gunmaking history, and worth keeping even in this condition. Am field stripping to clean it of 100 years of dried, caked gunk.

Would like to shoot it. Came with 5 boxes of original 25 Rem (shot half a box just to see it work) but was thinking of reloading with cast bullets. What is the bullet diameter? Are dies still available? Powder charge? Thanks all. Now trying to track down some parts. Too bad you can't get replacement barrels. Thanks for making this site available. It is a tremendous resource.
jack1653

Re: New Model 8 owner

Post by jack1653 »

Hey JohnP,

Welcome to the forum. You are among friends of the Remington Model 8 & 81rifles. You have an interesting story about your rifle. We would love to see some pictures of your treasure.

I would exercise some caution in using the old ammuniton. Just macke certain that the ammunition shows no corrosion of extreme brass discoloration. The old ammunition has been know to have primer issues. Some of the guys who do reloading may have additional comments on the ammunition and cast bullet questions.

Be sure to see the posts on the take down of the rifle. There are some good tips to make the job easier.

Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Post by Roger »

JohnP, welcome to the forum. My experience with 25 Rem. Cal. Isn't as extensive as the other 4- M-8/81 Cal.s, but you can use any of the listed formulas for 25/35 Winchester in any of the major reloading manuals to do what you want to do.I have only reloaded jacketed bullets for my 2 M-8s. Start with. Light loads and work up from there please. You have described your heirloom as well worn and I have no way of telling how safe it might be from my vantage point in Iowa.I do know that John Henwood has a few formulas for cast bullets in his book. That barrel of yours marked 25/35Rem. Makes your rifle a little rare.They weren't made for very long with that marking. Since its an heirloom you probably don't care that much about that.If you don't have Henwood's book, let me know @ and I will look up his formulas for you.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome indeed. Great story. Caution should be used regarding the rifle’s family issues as they are known to be herd critters –often calling out for companion calibers, rarely is one enough! ;)

The 25Rem M8 is rare and expensive, the 25-35 is even more rare, thus when it comes to the barrel, it is worth keeping if at all possible - especially as everything else sounds like it is original. Plus, these rifles have never been known to be tack drivers, a 3"pattern at 100 is exceptional in my experience and certainly anything under 6-8" is a keeper. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Welcome to the forum JohnP...

Great story on inheriting your rifle from your sons Great Grandfather. That makes it very special. I have my Grandfathers Model 8, and it is stamped 25 Rem on the breach, but he had it bored out to shoot 30 Rem. He hunted with it most all his life, and there was no bluing left on it anywhere. I thought about having it reblued, but decided to leave it shinny silver, the way I remember it when he hunted with it. I used it for deer hunting last fall.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Thanks guys. All great inputs. Will post some pics and progress on bringing this old Model 8 back to life. Thanks to the video available on this site, have begun to strip the receiver and I have never seen such gunk...hard as a rock after all these years and still the gun works. The old game warden treated this gun like every other gun he owned, a tool, like a garden rake and treated as such. You should see his pre-war Winchester 70. Anyway, it is a tribute to Browning's design that these guns are so rugged. No wonder they gathered such a following back in the day. thx again!
texassako

Post by texassako »

I really want an 8 in .25 Remington, but finally found a different rifle in .25 Rem at least. I have a thing for the .25 caliber cartridges. Dies turn up pretty often on fleabay and the gun auction sites, from old to brand new. It uses a .257" bullet and everything I have seen says to use .25-35 Winchester load data. I am not sure about the cast bullets in these since I only use cast in my revolver, but I wonder if it would operate properly at cast levels or just be a fancy single shot.