Model 81 300 Savage

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Fixbur

Model 81 300 Savage

Post by Fixbur »

Hello All,

I'm a new guy to the forum (From Michigan) and have been wanting one of these rifles since I was 16 and used one for the first time. I finally decided it was time 25 years later and after doing some looking I found this one. According to the Ser.# she was made in 1942, the blueing looks to be in very good shape with a few minor scratches, and the stock has some minor scuffs and dings from hunting. The bore is bright and shiny and it has no extra holes as far as I can tell but I'm no expert. I picked it up for $350 I think I got a pretty good deal.

I'm not sure if the rear sight is original to the rifle or not it was made by Marbles.

After getting some range time with it today I'm hooked and I think it's deer ready.

Jason
Attachments
DSCN1488.JPG
DSCN1488.JPG (51.43 KiB) Viewed 4948 times
DSCN1485.JPG
DSCN1485.JPG (37.47 KiB) Viewed 4948 times
2012-05-27.jpg
2012-05-27.jpg (76.26 KiB) Viewed 4948 times
Roger

Re: Model 81 300 Savage

Post by Roger »

Welcome aboard, it appears to me that you have a great new rifle. I'm not able to tell if it's been re-blued from the pics, but it really doesn't look like it to me. Your rear site is probably a replacement, but appears to be of the same period as the gun,so I wouldn't know if it was factory installed. Maybe someone else on this forum knows more about special order sights than I do. All that aside, I feel you made a fantastic buy at 350.00 @ would love to have that rifle in my collection. You are right about 300 Savage being a good deer caliber. It's a real thumper . I have spent alot of time reloading @testing with that caliber for my hunting,so let me know if I can be of any assistance in that regard.Have fun with it. It's a real classic deer rifle.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Fixbur,

Welcome to the forum. It appears you did good on finding your rifle. The pictures really look good. We thank you for posting the pictures for us to enjoy. Sometimes it takes a few years to realize our dreams. I hope it is the first of many that you may add to your arsenal.

As you will see if you review the postings of the Forum, there are all kinds of sights that go on this rifle and as long as thy accomplish the goal of accuracy any of them are okay, in my opinion. You should knot have any trouble knocking that deer down.

Regards,

jack1653
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Welcome to the forum...

Very nice looking rifle! Hope you enjoy it, and the forum.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
81police

Post by 81police »

Great story Jason, thank you for sharing. And welcome to the Great Model 8. We hope to see another picture with that Model 81 laying next to a deer :)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator