Grandpa's Model 8 (Disturbing pic)

Posts about the Model 8
avery53

Grandpa's Model 8 (Disturbing pic)

Post by avery53 »

Bought this from a young fellow who said it was his Grampa's. It is a 1909 in 35 Rem in pretty good shape for a 102 year old gun.
BUT, junior decided to do an inprovement. :(
Let me know what you think of my treasure.

rem81auto

Re: Grandpa's Model 8 (Disturbing pic)

Post by rem81auto »

Well, you will never have to worry about the action over heating from rapid fire shooting :shock: ... too bad because otherwise it's a very nice looking rifle. Dennis
avery53

Post by avery53 »

I bet if there was any way to come back, grampa would kick junior's butt around the block a couple of times. ;)
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

avery,
I think if it were mine I would have a good welder fill in the holes with a mild steel/coat hanger. I would than dress down and finish with 600 grit paper and do a Cold blue or Blue Wonder touch up. I bet it would look a thousand percent better. Dennis
81police

Post by 81police »

at least you have several options for scope bases, haha. Really nice rifle otherwise.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Looks like an AD with a drill press! Perhaps this is why they put locks on them!!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I've seen desecrations just as bad (but not nearly so numerous) cleaned up by welding the holes, but it would take a real artist to do a good job of making the holes invisible, or nearly so. I'm not sure it would be worth the expense if you had to pay someone to weld, polish, and blue it. I have fixed holes by threading them and putting in a plug screw, followed by grinding smooth and polishing, but you can always see traces of the hole. But at least it looked better than it was.
avery53

Post by avery53 »

I don't know whether to try a fix, or part out the old girl. It's a real shame.
I don't think it would hurt the function, but darn it is ugly like it is.
Need to think on it awhile.
Thanks
avery
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Depending upon $'s into it, I'd vote for parting it out. Filling the holes then some kind of textured finish that covers them just would not make it - IMHO.

Wonder why every time I look at your picture I have a craving for swiss cheese?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
tx81

Post by tx81 »

"Disturbing" was definitely an understatement. Showed the pics to my 15 year old son who is just now starting to realize that 'old' guns have a lot more than $$ value. His first word was "WHY?" Simple question with no simple answer.

Don't think the 'improvements' harm the action, but like someone else has already said -- "It's darned ugly".

My vote would be to part it out, but that's just me.

Hope you didn't invest much $$ into that sale.

RR
avery53

Post by avery53 »

Don't think the 'improvements' harm the action, but like someone else has already said -- "It's darned ugly".

My vote would be to part it out, but that's just me.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The action seems to work OK, and I don't think shooting it would be a problem, But ugly it is! :)
It would be a shame to part it out, but I think it is probably the best bet.
avery
45guy

Post by 45guy »

If you decide to part it out, I happen to know of a board member with a love for ugly model 8's...
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
gramps35

Post by gramps35 »

That last pic makes me want to cry.
moses

Post by moses »

The model-8 with the 16 holes drilled in it is now mine---It works and shoots so nice I am having it fixed. It is in the hands of a good smith, I talked to him today and he says it is all most done, The bore is like new and it is to nice to part out-----UGLY it was---lol Moses
81police

Post by 81police »

congrats on your Model 8 Moses, we'd all love to see pictures of this resurrected "springpole" ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
moses

Post by moses »

I just joined this site yesterday, And I allmost pooped my paints when I seen the gun I bought off of gunbroker with the 16 holes in it. I bought it in January, As a shooter---And shoot it will.I am having a scope put on it----Should be able to match up a hole or two---lol. I will let you all know how it turns out. Moses
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

moses wrote:Should be able to match up a hole or two---lol. Moses

:lol: :lol: :lol:
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

Welcome to the site. Glad you are enjoying your "new" 8.

We need updated pictures! :mrgreen:
War Eagle!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Moses, just viewed Grandpa's model 8 for the first time. I'm glad you have taken the project in hand to run with it. I believe all old guns deserve a good home where they'll be used for the purpose they were built for. Hope to see. Pics of it finished soon!!____ Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
moses

Post by moses »

I have 4-81s and 5-8s, Only one of them is orig, The rest are re-blues---pads added--wood redone but I just love to shoot them, I hope to shoot a deer with one of them this season, Dont know with what one--lol. I just cant see taking a good rifle and just putting in a safe and never using it, But thats just my thought. I like this site, I think I am really going to enjoy it. Mo.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Moses, I couldn't agree with you more. I love deer hunting w/ my model 8/81 s. I usually shoot several each Jan. Late antlerless season here in Iowa. I own 25 _8/81 s@ shoot them alot at the range too. I want to use all my guns. Colts Winchester, Remington, Browning's etc. Have fun,that's why we do this!___Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
moses

Post by moses »

Thats the way I see it to, I have lots of guns and I use them all--Even had some old winchester 86s redone---caught hell for that---But the shape they were in they were not useable---They are now. I live in the country, Right next to a shooting range, cant get any better then that. As a matter of fact--I think I will wonder over there this morning and fire off a few rounds. You take care of them 8s. Moses
moses

Post by moses »

I got my old ugly model-8 back today, You could never tell its the same gun, It turned out really good. Now I dont have to hide it anymore when my friends come over---lol. Moses
Roger

Post by Roger »

Moses ,I hope to see pics soon. I however have trouble posting pics on this forum site, so hopefully you are more successful than I've been. Can was kind enuf to post one picture for me.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Moses is right, we'd love to see pictures of your Model 8 ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

As they say, didn't really happen unless there are pictures! ;) :lol: