FN 1900 with detachable mag

ranman

FN 1900 with detachable mag

Post by ranman »

Here are some pics of my FN. It has a very low serial number (255) and a detachable mag and a recoil pad. Could this be factory? This is my first attempt at attaching pictures. Hope this is okay.

rem81auto

Re: FN 1900 with detachable mag

Post by rem81auto »

Nice FN. I am of the opinion that the pad and detachable clip are not original. I have a similar detachable clip that I suspect was done by a smarter than average gunsmith. Dennis
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

I have to agree with Dennis in that I also believe both the kickpad and detachable clip are aftermarket aterations. I have seen at least one model 8 with a very similar mechanism for detaching the clip. Looks fairly nicely done. It's always cool to have an FN rifle, even though both these alteration hurt the collector's value of the rifle. However, if you're a shooter, the alterations probably make it a great gun to shoot. Enjoy it!
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
81police

Post by 81police »

ranman,

Here is a photograph of an early Model 8 with the same type of magazine conversion as mentioned by Rem8&81 and rem81auto. If you look it's essentially identical to yours having the same pin drilled into the trigger plate in the same location (just forward of the trigger & above the magazine release button). Nice looking early FN by the way!
Attachments
english%20furniture%20015.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
english%20furniture%20015.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg (65.44 KiB) Viewed 15202 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ranman

Post by ranman »

I have not used this much in the last year or so because I do not shoot the open sights very well anymore. I might have to put a peep on it for the fall hunt . As you can see it is in pretty good shape and has been looked after quite well by someone. The mag conversion is one of the best I have seen ,the fit is extremely good so I thought there could be a slim chance it was factory.
thanks for the information and the pics. :D

ranman
Roger

fn 1900 rifle

Post by Roger »

I have a model 8 in 35 Cal. With a removable may. Mine may be a kreiger conversion. It is definitely not the same as yours. Mymagazine is numbered to the gun,and was reblued when altered.my best guess is yours may be fn. Who's to say it isn't.I've collected a-5 browning shotguns for thirty yrs. Fn would do whatever you wanted if you had the money. I own about 25 rem. 8/81,s fyi. Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

FN 1900's didn't come from the factory with a hole drilled for a tang sight like the Model 8's & 81's did. Some were done after the fact however, but if it's original it won't have a hole. Just FYI!

For what its worth I have only seen 1 other FN with a detachable magazine. It was decently done but completely different than yours (i've got pics of it somewhere). Since yours so closely resembles the Model 8 pictured above, I would surmise it may have been done by the same competent gunsmith.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

fnn1900 w/remvable mag

Post by Roger »

I'm not sure where you re going with the peep site hole. I don't know if his removable magazine is Fn, but i'm sure with the right amount of money they would do whatever you wanted. I have Auto-5 Fn shotguns with unusual features that I guarantee are original Fn. These guns were all made at the same time in the same plant.However his may very well be after market,my original point was that after some 100yrs. Later who can really say without real documentation. Didn't mean to start an argument. Just making an observation. Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Roger,

I appreciate your observations and comments. We think alike! And I would agree without verified documentation one cannot prove something with absolute certainty.

When we put together the article for the FN1900, original documentation was limited. An alternative method for drawing accurate conclusions is interpreting data from observing as large a survey sample as possible. Now nobody knows the survivability rate of the 4,913 FN 1900 manufactured, but we collected data on surviving examples taken over several years spanning 8 countries. In my database I currently have pictures and info on 54 FN1900's ranging from a single digit serial number, to one of the very last. As far as sampling goes that's pretty good considering the rarity of these rifles. Observation alone indicates they were not drilled & tapped from the factory for tang sights. For one marbles & lyman were not options based upon factory catalogs, but also by examining those very few rifles that do have them they are inconsistent in the hole placement...unlike 8's and 81's. In fact one had two holes drilled because the first was done off center.

As far as the magazine goes, again we have only observed 1 other FN with an entirely different magazine conversion. If more than one Model 8 has the same modifications done (which are unique but not factory) logic suggests this FN's magazine work was done after the fact as well. There is no indication from manuals, catalogs, or period advertisements that this (or a tang sight) was ever an option.

Again we say "it's of our opinion" which of course is not gospel, but not without supporting evidence. Hope that makes sense!

Either way, ranman's FN is VERY nice and collectible! And a low three digit serial number too...I'm envious :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Request for Rodger per your post about FN A5 shotguns with special features.
I have a small collection of these spanning the first 1903 imports of Browning to the Super Lite model and would be most interested and appreciative if you could describe these special features. I think mine are all just standard models with the exception of custom stock work. Thank you, Jerry
Roger

Fn 1900

Post by Roger »

Cam, I think we do think alike. I greatly appreciate your hard work on this website. John m. Browning was a true. I geniuso@ inspiration for all my collecting over the last 30 yrs. As for the man's question about A-5 special features, I have had many over the yrs. Mostly special stock dimensions,uncataloged barrels,some withvery rare markings. The rarest barrel I have is a 26 in. Solid rib cylinder bore for a standard 16 guage. Not sweet 16.Browning@fn say it wasniavailable. However, this one came from browning's St. Louis factory service center. The 80 plus yr. Old guy I bought it from wouldn't give me the box without paying more so I left it in Legrand ,Ia. It is definitly Fn. It appears to be from about 57 or so @ is definitly new @unfired.also have a standard 20 w/24in. Vent rib cylinder bore. Another rare bird
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Thank you Roger, will go over mine more closely, never thought much about checking for listed chokes and barrel lengths and see if anything varies from listed specs.
I apologize for misspelling your name earlier, wild typing typing finger maybe. Thanks again for info, Jerry
Roger

FN1900 Rifle

Post by Roger »

Jerry, always great to talk w/ another auto -5 nut.Most of the time I just have to enjoy them alone.I,m new to the computer @ this forum.I'm passionate about my rem. 8's@Auto-5's @I'm glad to have some friends to converse with. Please excuse my poor typing@ lack of computer skills. I make some mistakes when posting. Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ranman

Post by ranman »

I have not put a peep sight on this fn because I just cant seem to get up enough nerve to drill and tap it.( its has no holes) I hate the thought of altering something that has made it this far in such good original shape. I do not mind altering hunting guns as they need to be functional- swivels, sights and perhaps blue. I am curently looking for an old beater that I can revive and use for whitetail in the fall.
Roger

FN1900 Rifle

Post by Roger »

ran man, don't tap your FN receiver! This kind of alteration, may hurt the value of an already beautiful @quite collectable, @ rare rifle. Just an opinion,although it's one from 30 yrs of Browning collecting.Seriously though, I wish I had your FN1900 at my house!!You are a lucky man.
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

/\ What he said /\ - don't drill! I have "some" wholly 8s or 81s I'll trade for your un-wholly FN. :)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ranman

Post by ranman »

Brain cramp. what was I thinking :oops: I know better! I am installing fire sight and peep on a 35 cal model 8, weather permitting I will shoot this week. I have used this fn for about ten years (only on sunny days) it is just so darn nice to carry.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Ah, that refreshing feeling when blood starts flowing to the brain again - glad you are back to "a normal". :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine