Remington Model 8 Safety Replacement

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Blastattack

Remington Model 8 Safety Replacement

Post by Blastattack »

Hello all!

In my intro I posted that my safety wasn't locking up properly, and was given a suggestion for a fix. Upon further review of the rifle, it would appear that, at some point in it's life, the rifle discharged with the safety lever in the safe position. This impact quite severely peened the front edge of the safety lever, warped and dislodged the arm, and was subsequently re-attached and peened into place. I do not think that i can readily fix this, and would be interested in acquiring a completely new safety. Other than Numrich (who appear to be out of stock), does anyone have the component, or know whereabouts i may find one? Keep in mind, I live in Canada, which may complicate things somewhat.

Here are some pictures of the damaged area:

Image Image

Image Image

The whole arm is very evidently warped. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but i would imagine very easy to tell if my rifle and an undamaged one were side by side. The bottom picture show it in full lockup. That's the way it sits.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
[img]http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/iB_html/uploads/post-71-27209-Canada_Flag.jpg[/img]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"
jack1653

Re: Remington Model 8 Safety Replacement

Post by jack1653 »

Well, that is certainly a first for me. I don't ever recall hearing of the Remington being able to be fired with the safety on. If the safety failed as you indicate, my suspicion would be that the person who originally had the mishap must have damaged the safety by externding the safety downward beyound the normal stopping point and the safety lever became dislodged from the cam that it is attatched to. It would certainly be feasible that with the cam in the fire position and the lever "free wheeling" on the cam, the shooter may have thought the gun was on safe because it went back to the safe position. If the trigger were squeezed in this scenario, then it explains why the charging handle was driven back into the safety lever.

You can check the diss-assembly intruction for the proper removal of the safety lever. It is not hard to do.

As for a replacement, check gunbroker. There is one listed every now and then. The other source would be EBay. You may also try to contact Remcrazy, circlebranch@cox.net. He sometimes has extra parts.

Good luck,

jack1653
Blastattack

Post by Blastattack »

Wait... so the safety is not supposed to go down that far then?

Is it supposed to look like this when off safe a ready to rock and roll?

Because when i put my safety to that position, she's still locked up. No trigger or bolt movement allowed... This seems to be a slightly bigger problem than i had initially thought...
[img]http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/iB_html/uploads/post-71-27209-Canada_Flag.jpg[/img]

jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Blastattack,

Your picture shows the correct position for the safety in the "Fire" position. You will notice that the word "Safe" is not visibile because the word is under the Safety Lever. My suspicion is that the lever has slipped or is slipping on the shaft. The fact that it has been pinged to try and seize the lever to the shaft would be a good indication that the pinging did not work. Can you notice any movement of the lever on the shaft? I would exercise care if you load this rifle with a defective safety lever. It obviously went off once with the safety lever in the safe position and it may do it again.

jack1653
Blastattack

Post by Blastattack »

It's definitely stuck on the shaft, and has not shifted since it was "repaired". One thing though, is the safety lever meant to be press fit into the locking arm? Is this normal, or should the two parts simply drop free of each-other when the driving/locking lugs on the safety barrel get to the dissassembly cuts in the receiver?

It's pretty cool to take this thing apart. Pretty complex system of levers, springs and arms going on on the receiver wall.

Also, is this how the two parts should align?

sighthound

Post by sighthound »

This is scary, I had the same problem with an 8 bought off GunBroker, no returns sale, bent safety not disclosed, I did not pick up on it as to how it might have occured, was not able to fix safety to my satisfaction, bought a new one and replaced.
If this was current production Remington would likely recall these guns as it could get someone killed. The seller of my gun and maybe yours did not disclose the fault, we should all heed this problem and inspect our 8 and 81 rifles to make sure they are not faulty. Jerry
81police

Post by 81police »

I would agree with others, you should definitely replace the safety and the rocker on your rifle. I would guess the pin-hole punch marks on the outside of the safety lever were either from an attempt to tighten the lever (as indicated by sighthound) or by unfamiliarity in proper disassembly.

A tip when removing the safety is to put some aluminum foil or heavy paper underneath it so during disassembly & reassembly when you swing the lever down it doesn't scratch the finish of the receiver.

A few years ago member 2pversters and I purchased an assorted lot of new, old stock Model 81 parts. None had ever been on a rifle before. There was a box of screws with them and one type of screw I swore was misplaced and not for an 81. After really examining the screw and looking over an 81 come to find out they were screws for the 3rd style safety lever. I'm not sure the purpose of the screw, but many a amateur gunsmith have worked these screws over thinking they had to do with takedown.

I don't know the legality of shipping gun parts to Canada but I have a couple old safety levers (and rockers).
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Blastattack

Post by Blastattack »

81police wrote:I would agree with others, you should definitely replace the safety and the rocker on your rifle. I would guess the pin-hole punch marks on the outside of the safety lever were either from an attempt to tighten the lever (as indicated by sighthound) or by unfamiliarity in proper disassembly.

A tip when removing the safety is to put some aluminum foil or heavy paper underneath it so during disassembly & reassembly when you swing the lever down it doesn't scratch the finish of the receiver.

A few years ago member 2pversters and I purchased an assorted lot of new, old stock Model 81 parts. None had ever been on a rifle before. There was a box of screws with them and one type of screw I swore was misplaced and not for an 81. After really examining the screw and looking over an 81 come to find out they were screws for the 3rd style safety lever. I'm not sure the purpose of the screw, but many a amateur gunsmith have worked these screws over thinking they had to do with takedown.

I don't know the legality of shipping gun parts to Canada but I have a couple old safety levers (and rockers).
I would be very grateful to buy a replacement off you. Just send me the where, how, and how much and I can get it too you ASAP. There shouldn't bee too much issue with sending it north. It is a non-critical part (unlike a frame, receiver or barrel) and is only subject to the $100 rule. Let me know, and I'll make the arrangements. It is clearly evident that this could be a major issue, and that the lever needs to be replaced and not simply re-repaired.

Thanks for the help guys!

big al

Post by big al »

Hello Blastattack
Looking at the pics of your safety and safety rocker assembly it looks like your safety has been reattached to its shaft a little off and that the piece that sticks off the bottom of your safety rocker has been broken.
I am going to post pics of my part and your two with to illustrate what I am talking about.
Your pics with arrows marking parts in question
My pics first two marked with parts in question on Blastattack's part above
Would it be possible to get pics of the back of your assembled parts, the back of the safety lever where it ataches to its shaft,and the piece that sticks off the bottom of
the safety rocker.
My theory of how your lever got damaged is that the safety arm was broken off its shaft and was attached to it a little off which lead to your rifle being able to be fired
with the safety in the up position that lead to the lever being damaged.
Allen(Big Al)
big al

Post by big al »

Last pics too above post showing parts assembled wrong to match Blastattack's pics.
Allen(Big Al)
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Very cool Big Al, from one who has yet to get inside, thanks.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Blastattack

Post by Blastattack »

Big Al:

Well, that makes it official. Someone really went to town on my rifle and that whole assembly desperately needs replacement. I can get some pictures up for you tomorrow afternoon/evening, and will detail the two parts from every angle. It's quite surprising how far off the two components are mis-aligned on my rifle. They very obviously work, and have worked for a great deal of time, but the hack job of a fix is unsightly and may well lead to future issues. Thanks for giving me something to compare to, it is a great help indeed!

81police

Post by 81police »

Big Al you're a genius. I don't know that any of us would have caught that!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
big al

Post by big al »

Glad to be of help Blastattack and Imfuncity. Not so much a genius Cam, spotting stuff like is my other hobby comparing old WW II German tank photos and Id'ing the same tank from different angles and photos,I do that on a couple of other forums. Just decided to look at the parts after looking at Blastattacks photos and noticed the difference.

Allen(Big Al)
big al

Post by big al »

Hello
Thinking about blastattacks problem. I got to thinking about the model 8/81s safety and how it works. I could not find any good illustrations or pics of it so decided to make my own. I used a piece of flexible plastic to hold the parts together after trying it by hand.
I am going to post my observation on how the safety works and then my pics.
The safety in the safe postion
There is a grove or slot in the lower right bottom of the bolt. The safety rocker piece fits in this grove in the on postion blocking the bolt from moving reward.The lower projection of the safety rocker also blocks the the trigger by moving over a ledge on the back of the trigger.
The safety lever blocks the bolt fom moving reward as well as showing you the gun is on safe.
Pics of the safety in the on safe position

When you move the safety to the fire position by slideing the safety lever down. This lowers the safety to allow you to cock the bolt and moves the safey rocker down from the slot blocking the bolt. This movement also moves the lower projection a little reward unblocking the ledge on the trigger.
Safety in the fire position
That is my observations on the operation feel free to correct me if my observations are off or if you have anything to add.
Allen(Big Al)
Blastattack

Post by Blastattack »

Very cool! Thank you for the inside look! Now perhaps this is because my safety is pooched, but when I engage the safety, I am able to move the trigger back and forth without releasing the hammer. However, once disengaged and the trigger is pulled, the hammer drops. Is the safety arm inside holding the hammer back? I can't see another explanation that would allow the trigger to move in safe (and very easily too) and not have any effect on the hammer.

I am still working on those pictures... yesterday and today have been busy

imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Big Al - outstanding! How cool is that to actually see how it works! :o
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Blastattack

Post by Blastattack »

So an update for y'all, at long last. Received my NOS/Lighyl used parts from Circle B today. Got the safety fitted and functioning, which is great!
Also, took some pics of the old safety. I copied the views that Big Al posted, so hopefully that gives some insight. Overal very pleased and the gun now looks complete. Yay!

And with the new parts installed:

Sorry for the poor picture. The light went down pretty quick and the light in my room is pretty weak.

81police

Post by 81police »

the rifle looks fantastic, you did a great job Blastattack. This entire post is a good reference for others to use, I learned a lot myself :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

A "visable" model 8! How Cool! :D :D

A BIG thanks to Al for the tutorial. Just awesome.
War Eagle!
ranman

Post by ranman »

That is a very good read on model 8 safetys,and pics are great. Thanks Big Al
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Big Al,
I am very impressed with your use of clear plastic sheeting to simulate the receiver. There are a lot of other issues, assembly questions that could be better understood with this technique. If you have time, I'd encourage more photos. Way Cool!!

On a side note how was the original levers fastened to the shaft? Those I've seen show no sign of a "riveted" joint and after blueing a weld joint might be invisible. This might be a important issue as these rifles age.
Phyrbird
SOKY