Remington Model 11 Refurbish

Other great Remington rifles
jthgunnut

Remington Model 11 Refurbish

Post by jthgunnut »

Throughout the winter I look for shop projects that will keep me entertained until we get spring meltdown here in the Methow Valley. This winter I did did a Model 81, a Model 14 and a model 11. I look for weapons that have been used beyond collector status and, unless they are totally refurbished, they will soon be in the junk pile. I try to accomplish this on a budget of $200 per weapon including the cost of the weapon. I consider this my way of saving a small piece of history.

I ran into a little cost overrun on the Model 11. I paid too much for it ($150) and the wood was in worse shape than I initially thought. I have repaired worse and used it but I didn't think the repaired stock and forearm could sustain another life as a hunting shotgun. Fortunately, Numerich had a few sets of Model 11 wood left and the set of new wood took me over budget. Mel Doyle, in Plummer, ID, blued my prepared metal at what I consider a very modest price and this is what I ended up with. (Pic attached)

Jon
Attachments
Mar 13, 2012 008.JPG
Mar 13, 2012 008.JPG (231.38 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
Mar 13, 2012 006.JPG
Mar 13, 2012 006.JPG (228.31 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
Mar 13, 2012 002.JPG
Mar 13, 2012 002.JPG (232.37 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
imfuncity

Re: Remington Model 11 Refurbish

Post by imfuncity »

Very cool - 200 total! I want to borrow your mask. :twisted:

Nice family anyone would be proud of. Great job.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Nice work Jon. I`m with you about bringing old junkers back to life. The three you have pictured are to be proud of. I have a couple 11`s and an 8 that I am going to do when the bench gets cleared of other projects.Your friend Mel looks to do a fine blue job. As you know the prep work is the most important or they wouldn`t come out like the ones you have.Enjoy shooting them.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Jon,

your refurb'd Remingtons are sweet! That is the kind of stuff I enjoy doing as well. Been doing it mostly with military bolt rifles, but have been getting into civilian sporting guns recently, and each of your guns are great examples of the quality I hope to achieve in my own "shadetree" gunsmithing efforts.

Well done!
Now, to find those Model 8's, 14's, and 11's for $100 bucks each....without theft......LOL

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.