the outlaw josey whales

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
mr mike

the outlaw josey whales

Post by mr mike »

Was wondering if any of you expert gun guys could " school me" on a question I have.

I'm sure most here have seen the old Clint Eastwood classic "the Outlaw Josey Whales", its
a great western. Theres a scene early in the film where Eastwood is being chased by
renegade soldiers who are passengers on a small ferry boat which is
tied to a guide rope that directs / guide's it across a river.

From the opposite shore Eastwood shoots the guide rope out, setting the ferry adrift.
To do this he use's a very long rifle with a really long scope mounted on it.

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of rifle/ scope that was?
I wasn't aware scopes were used that far back ( 1865)
Thought it would be interesting to learn something, if someone on here is familiar with
that type rifle / scope combination.

Anybody?
rem81auto

Re: the outlaw josey whales

Post by rem81auto »

I think that would be #6 ... see link below

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Outlaw_Josey_Wales,_The
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Being a blackpowder buff the pictures associated with making the movie are most interesting and a primer in military arms of the day, since I have owned and fired many of the models. Almost cried real tears when viewing the carelessly piled up Springfields. The scene with ferry tied to rope, was probably a steel cable and device used to power ferry across rivers using current and angle of ferry against current to propel ferry back and forth to landings on either side. (Clean energy also, political correct nowdays, ingenious in its day). Even recall seeing such ferrys years ago. jerry
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Thanks rem81auto for posting the site. I can see hours on a rainy day being well spent leafing through this. Already answered a question about a rifle used in Joe kidd and Sons of Katie Elder.Found it a Remington Keene Sporterized with half magazine and scope in 45-70.Have puzzled about this one for years. Joe Kidd using a Ross 1910 Spoter like mine was neat too. I knew what rifle but now know it was an A5 Winchester scope or a Lyman 5A. Will reall enjoy using this site.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

Many thanks for all the replys. This is really a great bunch here!!!! :D
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

That web page can be searched by moive, actor, kind of gun, etc. At our house more then one moive has been paused, while this site was being search, to determine who was correct in determining what kind of firearm was being used (that is when our son is visiting). :shock: And, much to my wife's chagrin the site has been used to determine one of the next moives to be watched!! :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I should have noted a lot of Movie gun stuff can be found on the site. I have known about it for a few yrs and still check it out regularly.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

I`ll wager that Mrs.Imfuncity, is concerned about the next gun Mitch, will be searching for at the gunshow, as well as the choice of the next movie.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Western

Post by Western »

I work routinely with armorers in film and video and I was curious about the piled up Springfield's in the "Outlaw Josie Wales."

After a long inquiry I found someone who probably knows (although not the actual armorer), an extra, he says:

"...they were made of rubber. Most of the guns in that movie were made of rubber, at least the ones they let us touch."

In my own movie, we used six Glock 23 (although never more than three on set at once), one made of rubber, one made of rubber with a stainless steel plate for a heroic scene, a bore plugged safety firing model, and flamer that fired sparks out the top, and a cock and lock that cycled the action. For safety reasons we moved from a black barrel to a silver barrel between different weapons (safety for us was more important than the small chance an audience member notes the blocked barrel of the changed barrel color between two scenes).

Likewise, we had two 38 revolvers on set, one a functional blank gun, and the second a squib firing gun with a pink back strap.

In any movie with a lot of guns, you will find that the vast majority of them most of the time are either rubber, resin, or wood and zinc mockups. Thrown weapons (like someone who gets shot and drops their gun) are rubber / latex models, the sound of them hitting the ground is added in post production. Only rarely will an actual weapon get tossed around for safety reasons.