THE GREAT REMINGTON MODEL 30 EXPRESS

Other great Remington rifles
f.a.b.

THE GREAT REMINGTON MODEL 30 EXPRESS

Post by f.a.b. »

The Remington Model 30 is a US sporting rifle of the inter-war period based on the military P14/M1917 Enfield rifle action, which was manufactured for the British and US governments during World War I.[1][2] Initial specimens used surplus military parts with some modifications in order to consume the stock of parts, though further modifications were made as production progressed and later rifles were produced from newly manufactured parts. Most early rifles were in the military .30-06 calibre used in the M1917 but it became available in a variety of chamberings. It was the first high-powered bolt-action sporting rifle produced by Remington.

I THOUGHT I WOULD SHOW SOME PHOTOS OF MY MODEL 30 IN .35 REM -- IT IS THE MOST ACCURATE RIFLE I HAVE SHOT -- YOU CAN STACK BULLET HOLES AT 100 YARDS WITH NO PROBLEM ( WELL A FEW YEARS AGO THAT IS ) ANYWAY IS THERE ANY OTHER MODEL 30 OWNERS OUT THERE -- IF NOT YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU MISSING --- RICK
Attachments
rem 2.jpg
rem 2.jpg (114.45 KiB) Viewed 11803 times
rem 1.jpg
rem 1.jpg (44.96 KiB) Viewed 11801 times
jthgunnut

Re: THE GREAT REMINGTON MODEL 30 EXPRESS

Post by jthgunnut »

I also have a Remington 30 Express that I've had as my hunting rifle for the past 20 years. My Model 30 is in 3006 and has a 6 groove barrel. I've shot a number of deer and coyotes with it! Unfortunatly, to meet my hunting standards, I mounted a scope on the rifle. It's my understanding that the 30 Express was produced as a later model of the Model 30. Over the years I have had the occassion to purchase other Model 30's but did not realize their potential as collector items. Like everything, as I get older, guns that were commonplace in my youth are becoming scarce. 8-) Gunnut
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

f.a.b.
Thanks for the post. I just learned something. A bot action Remington in 35 Rem is very intreaging indeed. I will have to start keeping an eye out for these. I cant remember seeing one at gun shows and such. Just could be I have and didnt know what I was looking at. May have just written it off as an owner customized P17. 8-)
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Thanks for the post f.a.b. The review of your 30 Express in 35Rem is consistent with what I have heard before. You have a keeper for sure. Mine is in Springfield 30 Cal. 1906 . That`s sure a long designation for 30-06. It is also a very accurate rifle. I scoped it with a Leupold 4X with a German #4 reticle.The mount is a Griffin&Howe double lever sidemount. This high mount worked out well as the Lyman peep sight can be used without removing the scope,which is handy for close shots.The leather cheek piece was added to help with scope alignment.
In my stable of bolt rifles, including some big magnums I have some kickers and some pushers. The 30 Express in 06 is a definite kicker. The 17 Enfield that this rifle was derived from had the barrel shortened and the ears of the rear site removed and a lighter ,trimmer sporting stock installed. The butt stock is of interest as it was really trimmed down. I think Remington must have had a pile of buttplates (steel) for their Mod 14`s perhaps, and patterned the butt stock on the 30 to accept them.The result is a small ,thin,hard (did I mention it is steel) buttplate that will really let you know when you pull the trigger. Friend of mine had a 30 that he had rebarreled in 35 Whelen. I shot it a few times with the 250 gr bullets. Told him the only time I would shoot it again would be if something big was charging and about to eat me.
These are great rifles and another example of Remington`s managemnt having the foresight to utilize the material on hand to produce a fine sporting arm. This decision ,and having many of their later models share components or design features like the 500 series bolt 22 `s,the 572,552 slide and semi-autos ,870,1100 shotguns,742,760 rifles could be the reason they are still in business with so many others going by the wayside.
The photos are side by side of my 17 Enfield and 30 Express . The Enfield is a 'Winchester'...sorry . It also is a great shooter. Though ungainly looking with those big ears the flip up peep makes this old battle rifle very accurate.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_3388.JPG
IMG_3388.JPG (66.9 KiB) Viewed 11730 times
IMG_3386.JPG
IMG_3386.JPG (74.14 KiB) Viewed 11730 times
IMG_3387.JPG
IMG_3387.JPG (55.95 KiB) Viewed 11730 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

This thread may be leading to buildup of another Remington model chambered in model 8 calibers, have seen and heard of 4 sub models, 30A, 30 Express, 30S & 30R (carbine) with chamberings of 25, 30, 32, 35 Remington, 30-06, 7x57 Mauser & 257 Roberts. Fertile field of variations for collectors. Another similar rifle along these lines is the Winchester Model 51 also based on Enfield 1917 action and made in 30-06, 27 & 35 Newton. Jerry
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

You guys are going to get in trouble you keep mentioning that W word. ;)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

sighthound wrote:This thread may be leading to buildup of another Remington model chambered in model 8 calibers, have seen and heard of 4 sub models, 30A, 30 Express, 30S & 30R (carbine) with chamberings of 25, 30, 32, 35 Remington, 30-06, 7x57 Mauser & 257 Roberts. Fertile field of variations for collectors. Another similar rifle along these lines is the Winchester Model 51 also based on Enfield 1917 action and made in 30-06, 27 & 35 Newton. Jerry
That's the hook for me. Other ventage Remington rifles in the calibers I am now, due to my Model 8's and 81's, all set up to reload for. This is how I got into the Model 14's. :D