Operating handle bushing removal

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
81police

Operating handle bushing removal

Post by 81police »

Very seldom does the operating handle need to be disassembled, however doing so can be a pain without the proper tool. The plunger and spring of the operating handle are retained within the body by the operating handle bushing. There are typically 2 dimples which are used to screw and unscrew this bushing. Now I'm sure Remington had a special tool in house for doing this job but I've never heard of one they made available to the general public.

Forum member "jack1653" made a rough prototype of his own which will safely remove the bushing without damaging it. For those of you interested here is how he did it along with some photographs. Thanks Jack!

"As you can see, I used an old screwdriver. The close-up pictures show the cuts to be very rough, but it will do for a prototype. I will try another to see if I can make it more symmetrical.

I ground the bit down with the bench grinder. I used the Dremel to cut the groove for the pin in the bolt handle. I used a file to cut the little tabs that go into the holes of the "plug". This was the hardest part of the build. The steel was very hard to file.I sprayed some penetrating oil and applied the tool. A good steady pressure and the the plug came loose"
Attachments
OP HANDLE TOOL.jpg
OP HANDLE TOOL.jpg (148.23 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: Operating handle bushing removal

Post by imfuncity »

Way to go Jack; thanks for the pics Cam. Read this before, but the pics now make it make sense (but still hope I don't have to use it.) :mrgreen:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

When I called 81police to ask him if he knew how to get the bolt torn down without damaging the piece he said that he was sure Remington must have had something, but he hadn't seen anything. We talked a little while about what might work when I told him that I had an idea that I would try. In an hour after trying a couple different approaches, the screw driver idea hit me. I knew the steel would be hard to work with, but on the second try, I got it. I sent the pictures and write-up to 81police to get his reaction and it was positive.

I want to thank 81police for posting the pictures of the new tool. I hope that it will help anybody who wants to do their own repairs and take downs. As I stated, it was fairly easy to make and I had plenty of old screw drivers with which to experiment. I was really surprised at how rough it looked when I edited the picture for the close-up. My old eyes didn't detect that when I was making the cuts. I think I'll put the next one under my magniying light to do the cuts.

That makes two tools I have made to help with tear downs from old screw drivers. If there is anything else that somebody might need in the way of tools, make the suggestion and I'll be willing to think about how to make it.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Oh my, the shame of it all. Jack actually used a shabby looking tool! "I'm shcocked. Shocked I say." :shock: :lol:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Now take it easy on me. :( I would use a piece of crap if I thought it would get the job done. :lol: :lol:

I do like these challenges. It breaks the boredom and gives you a chance to zing me. :!:

Wait until you see my next piece of handy work. :?: I should have something in the next few days that will surely get a rise out of you. :D

jack1653