Somethings A Little Off

Other great Remington rifles
Wildgoose

Somethings A Little Off

Post by Wildgoose »

Saw this one on GB. Am I off here or is this a Model 14 with a 141 front end on it? If so I am thinking $300 is a bit to high along with the modified butt stock and all.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =266966650
jthgunnut

Re: Somethings A Little Off

Post by jthgunnut »

I looked at the pictures then compared them against my Model 14 and I don't see any differences. What exactly are you looking at that looks inappropriate?

After further observation, my bolt and receiver do look different. My serial # is in the 61000 series. My bolt has a bolt lock and release inside the ejection port.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Its the front sight ramp. On my M14 its an intragal part of the barrel that is machined from the same stock. On this rifle it looks like the longer sweated on sight ramp. This diffrence between the Model 14 and 141 was one of the items changed to speed up production and lower costs. That and the barrel assembly seems to be in better shape than the receiver whcih I think is a Model 14. Usually its the other way around with the barrel and slide that has the blue worn off from being carried just ahead of the receiver.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Wow, good eyes. I would not have got that until they were side by side. Thanks for posting a heads-up.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Wildgoose, I think you are correct...it appears that the barrel is from a 141.

He has another 14 in 32 cal that has the correct barrel and front sight.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =267990912

Big difference.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]