Shot the Model 14

Other great Remington rifles
Wildgoose

Shot the Model 14

Post by Wildgoose »

The weather has taken a turn for the somewhat better so I got the Model 14 I picked up out for a test run this last weekend. The old girl has a lot of wear on her and had not been cleaned up for a long time. But, no real issues that would keep it from being a good shooter. As it turned out it shoots as good as I can see with the standard open sights. About four to five inches at 100 yards with both factory and hand loaded .35 Remingtion. I was able to shoot a couple of nice core groups with five or six shots out of ten but had a few get away from me to open things up to four or five inches each time. I am looking forward to playing around with loads and just spending some bench time and see if I cant get a little better out of her. The one other thing I found is that the Model 14 is a real sweetheart to shoot in .35. What great little light weight handy woods gun. Not to mention the fact that its a real work of the gun makers art.
ctgodog

Re: Shot the Model 14

Post by ctgodog »

Looking forward to receiving mine real soon....and see how it shoots. I really like my Remington pump 22lr, which is of the same design...hope this Rem 141, 35 Rem is as sweet to shoot.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Very cool. 8-) Dadgummit, got my 14 25Rem sitting by the door waiting like an anxious pup but... finding it hard to pull the trigger on 25Rem collector ammo - have not come up with an alternate source yet!! :?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

ctgodog wrote:Looking forward to receiving mine real soon....and see how it shoots. I really like my Remington pump 22lr, which is of the same design...hope this Rem 141, 35 Rem is as sweet to shoot.

Clint
I suspect you are in for a real treat Clint. I was prepared for some fairly stout recoil what with a plain metal butt stock and such a light rifle. But, it was just a good straight push with no muzzle flip at all. Very comfortable to shoot off the bench rest with both factory and hand loads. I doubt there is any diffrence between the 14 and 141 in this department.
Western

Post by Western »

imfuncity wrote:Very cool. 8-) Dadgummit, got my 14 25Rem sitting by the door waiting like an anxious pup but... finding it hard to pull the trigger on 25Rem collector ammo - have not come up with an alternate source yet!! :?
There is a company out of Largo, Florida that will make up batches of hard to find ammo, nearly any calibre you can think of. It is pretty expensive, but they use new cases and it can be reloaded.
d-2

Post by d-2 »

I have a model 14 in .25 also. I did get lucky on 5 boxes of OLD ammo and I bought one box of necked down .30 stuff. I killed a doe with mine at about 100 yards with open sites with 60 year old or older ammo. But a scope is going on it before long. I will post a picture when I get it drilled and tapped but I am sure that I have found my new deer rifle. Shoot the ammo you got,save the hulls and reload them or sell what you got and get someone elses reloads but shoot that rifle. You will be glad you did...d2