Yet Another 81 Police Rifle on GB!

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
koz5614

Yet Another 81 Police Rifle on GB!

Post by koz5614 »

Holy cow! You spend years looking to find one of these elusive rifles, and within a week, TWO pop up. Being a Trooper myself, I find the KY Highway Patrol inscription appealing (Cam: Ever see one with those markings?). Unfortunately, the condition is not as nice as mine, or I would definately be looking to trade my LASD gun for it. These prices are creeping into M1C Garand territory - crazy.
81police

Re: Yet Another 81 Police Rifle on GB!

Post by 81police »

I've got some photographs of one marked "Kentucky State Highway Patrol", which is probably from the same dept. as this one. From the rifles I've seen it wasn't uncommon for the dept. to change the way they inscribed the name.

One of these days I'll make a list of all the department names I've got on file and how many rifles on record per each...L.A. County purchased the most by far.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Nam1964

Post by Nam1964 »

I wanted to let you know that I was the one who purchased this POE 81 "KY Highway Patrol". It is in very good condition, (pictures don't tell it all) and of course it is dead acurate. Check out attached target pic. When I rec'd the POE 81, I took it right out of the packaging and with a gunsmith and I we tried Miss Kentucky out, needless to say she did not miss a beat!!! It was worth every cent, and no regrets. Even thought it cost $6,000 it is and was worth it! Some might say that's a lot, but how much do we spend on eating out or other things of little if no value or history.
Attachments
Target at 25 yards!
Target at 25 yards!
A POE Target.jpg (5.18 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
81police

Post by 81police »

Nam1964, welcome to the forum. You have a very desirable rifle indeed! And what a shooter :shock: :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Welcome to the Forum. We are glad to have another POE owner among us. These rifles are unique and are fun to shoot. You can sure go through a bunch of ammunition in a hurry when you load and shoot 15 at a time. See our videos to see how fast.

Regards,

jack1653
Nam1964

Post by Nam1964 »

You are right it takes no time to go thru ammo, but well worth every round. I have to admit it, I am lucky to have had the cash and right timing to buy the POE. I do have a few question since I am new to the forum. And yes jack1653, I know I am in line to find an extra 15 round magazine (the law of averages, but they are out there). So here are my questions:

1. Why did the US Military not adopt the Remington 81 POE for combat? It was not until the later part of the war, the STG 44 came out (good luck finding ammo for 44 today with out paying big bucks) and later the AK-47.
2. What was the price of a POE w/15 round clip in 1942?
3. Just how rare are the Rem POE?
4. Approximately how many Rem POE 8s and 81s with 15 round magazines were made? And how many in 1942?
5. How many 8s 15 round magazines were produced?
6. How many 81s 15 round magazines were produced?

Lastly the reason why I choose Nam1964 is in memory of my grandfather. He is the one who taught me to shoot. My first was a Marlin 30/30. Here is my infomation on him:

In loving memory to US Army Pilot Ret. Lt. Colonel Joesph Fox
2 Combat Tours Korea
3 Combat Tours Viet Nam
Death by VODKA
The ACE of Spades

I asked my grandfather, who was a bronze star recipient besides other things, "Why he did so many combat tours?" He said "Those 19 year old boys need a father thru life or death." He was a father to many, but unfortunately he died from Vodka back in 1986.
81police

Post by 81police »

Nam1964,

I'd recommend reading the article at the link below. It's got about as much information about these rifles that exists. I don't know how much Remington sold the magazines for in the early 1940's. Remember they were only sold to law enforcement agencies so I'm sure prices varied. We do know that in 1935 (prior to Remington acquiring the magazines) POE would sell spare magazines (to LE only) for $30-$35. Using an inflation calculator that's over $500 today.

Click on the link below for the article...
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=659
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Nam1964

Post by Nam1964 »

How rare are POE w/15 Round Magazine?
81police

Post by 81police »

the last section of the POE article titled "Production Figures and Final Thoughts" discusses this.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator