Rem. 81 Rebuild and Test Fire

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
jthgunnut

Rem. 81 Rebuild and Test Fire

Post by jthgunnut »

Today I test fired my Rem. 81-300 Sav. for the first time and it functioned flawlessly. It was a big deal for me because of what I started with! I was able to purchase this piece of history at a rock bottom price because it had been forgotten in a wet car trunk in a wet gun case. The owner then tried to save it by coating it with some type of rust remover and in the process reassembled it in the wrong manner. I spent a week sanding and polishing the metal in my shop then sent my parts to Mel Doyles Gunshop in Plummer, ID for reblueing. I mailed the parts on monday and got them back on thursday and started reassembly. I had been following the Rem. 8-81 website, reading all the information and watching the videos and I was able to gain invaluable information. Based on this information my third assembly allowed the rifle to feed and fire perfectly. I reassembled using CBR's spanner wrench since I didn't want to mar my new blueing job.

This is a great website with valuable information!

Good hunting to you all!

Jon
Attachments
Remington 81 001.JPG
Remington 81 001.JPG (238.99 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
81police

Re: Rem. 81 Rebuild and Test Fire

Post by 81police »

Jon,

You did a FABULOUS job on the rifle rebuild :D Sounds like it was a fun project too and all the more satisfying when it functions flawlessly. You planning on shooting a deer with it?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Howdy,

Welcome to the forum. We appreciate you sharing the story and the pictures. You have done a good job and the rifle looks pretty darn good. The rifle appears to have a checkered stock and forearm but the pictures are not clear enough for me to tell whether it is factory checkering. Would there happen to be a "-B" following the number 81 on the left side of the receiver? Many of the checkered Model 81 .300 were in fact 81-B's. If it is, your rifle would be more valuable than the standard 81.

Regards,

jack1653
jthgunnut

Post by jthgunnut »

I did not find the "B" after the 81 but based on my observations of factory vs. non-factory checkering, I believe this to be factory done. Thanks for the comments and information. As for hunting a deer, in Eastern Washington there is a 3-point minimum requirement. At my age, with my eyes, that requires a scope! Throughout the winter I do hunt coyotes and I will give the 81 a try on coyotes.