I got outbid a

Other great Remington rifles
d-2

I got outbid a

Post by d-2 »

few weeks ago on some .25 ammo on gun broker or guns America I cant remember which one. I bid 130 bucks on 4 boxes and was upset when I lost it, it went for 150. I have this neat old model 14 that I was in dire need of brass for and being a little odd :? I wanted my head stamps to say .25 Rem and not .30 Rem. I kept scratching around and found 5 boxes for less than 140. The UPS man showed up late last week dressed like Santa Claus as far as I was concerned. I got brass now!!!d2
Attachments
005.JPG
005.JPG (115.41 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
texassako

Re: I got outbid a

Post by texassako »

Midway sells new brass with the correct stamp, but for more than you paid for loaded factory ammo :D .
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

You done good "fer-sur".
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

You have a little collectible value on the Winchester boxes themselves. Those date from the late 20's and through the 30's. Not so much with the Remingtons, likely from the 50's.
d-2

Post by d-2 »

Thanks for the info on the boxes, I didnt have a clue and really was just proud I found some ammo. Thanks again...d2
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Just to establish the dates a little better, the Winchester box with all of the label visible at the top left appears to be the "1939" style. There is also a very similar "1935" style box, but I would have to see the box with the label obscured to tell if it is the "1939" or "1935" style. The bottom blue and white box is the "1932" style. There is also a very similar "1928" style box, but yours is definitely a "1932" style. You might be surprised at what the Winchester boxes could bring if listed on eBay - but of course that would depend on their condition, i.e., are all of the end flaps intact, damage to the back, etc., which I have no way of knowing. The writing on the front of the "1932" box won't help its value. As I said, the two Remington boxes are from the late 1940s thru the 1950s, fairly common, and don't have as much value unless they were in mint condition, which they do not appear to be. However, strange things happen on eBay, and $40- $50 or so for the lot of five is not out of the question if there are no major condition problems.
d-2

Post by d-2 »

The Remington boxes are missing their end flaps. The blue Winchester box is in terrible shape,the writing on the front says, 21 cents each. The yellow and blue Winchester boxes are in great shape except for the one where you can see the one box that is missing a little color. Once again thanks for the information. I may wind up selling the empty boxes when I get the ammo transferred to some more boxes..d2
81police

Post by 81police »

I need to finish up the 8/81 ammo page that Tom Ramsey made for us. If you haven't already looked it might be helpful.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=332
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

The 21 cents each harkens back to the days when small crossroads mom & pop stores sold ammo by the round. I remember that time well. .22s were 1 or 2 cents each (depending whether they were Shorts or Long Rifles), shotshells were a dime. A lot of hunters didn't have the price of a full box, so they bought just a few rounds at a time. During the depression, 21 cents was a lot, probably the equivalent of two to three dollars now. I remember back in the mid-1950's a full box of .30-'06 was about $4.00, which was about $3.90 more than what I had at any one time.

I have a couple of old boxes in my collection marked similarly, and I like them just because of the memories they bring back.