Military/Trials Model 8, recreated

Posts about the Model 8
imfuncity

Military/Trials Model 8, recreated

Post by imfuncity »

Posting the pictures for SIGHTHOUND's comments - from his post Sat Mar 06, 2010
"Has anyone ever seen a Military Model 8s Remington Full-Stocked Match Rifle or a U.S. Trials Rifle as shown in John Henwood's book "The Great Remington 8 and 81 Rifles? For my collection, knowing I would never have them, I made a fullstock forearm and handguard, fitted barrel bands, sling swivels and Krag sight for the full stock and a forearm with barrel band and sling swivels for the trials look alike. I did not put a Lyman 48 sight on because I did not want to drill holes in receiver, I saved the original parts to go with the guns when they go to someone else, my intention is not to deceive anyone these are only to fill holes in my display. I have looked for a 25 cal that has been abused that I could mount a Lyman 48 on but not found as yet. Originals, of course are very rare and am hoping someone might have pictures of them.
sighthound"
Attachments
Military8-002.jpg
Military8-002.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 10226 times
Military8-001.jpg
Military8-001.jpg (38.07 KiB) Viewed 10226 times
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
imfuncity

Re: Military/Trials Model 8, recreated

Post by imfuncity »

Looks like a terrific job!! I agree, the chances of seeing one, let alone getting one is slim to none, and "that be the Pure-D truth".

I don't have a beater .25 but how about a .30Rem that was voted the ugliest Model 8? It has a "face made for radio"!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Looks great Sighthound, can you tell us a little about how you did the full stock rifle?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

I got to admit I find the full stocked target rifle very attractive. Nice workmanship.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

For those who might be interested in recreating the military and trials Remington 8's this is how I did it.
First cut an oversize rough blank from plain straight grain black walnut or what ever you have.
Cut the fullstock into leaving enough wood for both stock and handguard, same for trials except you have no handguard.
Route a 1 inch channel so it will fit over rifles barrel shroud being careful the fullstock and handguard are properly aligned.
I used a 1 inch cutter in the router head for my radial arm saw. You can buy or make cutters for any shape or size barrel channel, works great for octagon or round barrels.
I scrounged up military sling swivels, altered where necessary to fit. I used the forearm attaching screw lug to hold forearms in place and of course the barrel bands hold the handguard.
Just a plain tung oil finish works well or if necessary a little walnut stain to darken, I have found leather dye from Tandy leather stores is great wood stain.
When shaping the forearms I clamped them in place and went to work with rasps, files and chisels to cut away excess, but being old and retired my time is not worth much and not a factor.
Anyway, these add something to my collection and are another good shop project, I know my efforts are not exact copies but from a distance look pretty good.
If any of you do this please let me know how it works out, Thanks, Sighthound
imfuncity

Re: Military/Trials Model 8, new-recreated

Post by imfuncity »

Sighthound, the new owner of the "Ugly 8", has determined to make it a swan! He calls it a poor man's attempt with standard shop tools to recreate a military/trial M8. (His last attempt looked real good to me!) Starting with what I sent, we will post pictures during the metamorphosis.
P1010006 2x.jpg
P1010006 2x.jpg (48.7 KiB) Viewed 9855 times
beginning.jpg
beginning.jpg (14.69 KiB) Viewed 9854 times
Geppetto - back in his "better days"
Geppetto.jpg
Geppetto.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 9856 times
imfuncity

Geppetto recreates

Post by imfuncity »

Again my bad on these pics being posted way-late ...
I didn't send him much to work with but the snow was flying and the Ugly 8 needed help ...

Starting at the bottom, butt stock before (getting ready for a fix)
M8 stockB4.jpg
M8 stockB4.jpg (83.54 KiB) Viewed 9589 times
imfuncity

Ugly M8 recreated

Post by imfuncity »

Continuing making a swan of the Ugly 8 ...

The tool
M8 router bit.jpg
M8 router bit.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 9587 times
The result
M8 routed pieces.jpg
M8 routed pieces.jpg (28.92 KiB) Viewed 9586 times
The fit
M8 getting fit.jpg
M8 getting fit.jpg (34.85 KiB) Viewed 9586 times
A "trials/military" waiting for bands
M8 fitted for new clothes.jpg
M8 fitted for new clothes.jpg (56.53 KiB) Viewed 9586 times
She already looks a lot better then when I owned her. I'm told she'll have new clothes, looking sharp, and be firing by the next snow. :D
81police

Post by 81police »

it's looking good! Great job, can't wait to see the final product.

if you haven't talked to Circle B Ranch Bob, I believe he has done the barrel bands already (circlebranch@cox.net).
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Good point Cam, I did miss one...

The Fitting (don't know what he used, finding a band big enough was a challenge)
M8 fitting swivels.jpg
M8 fitting swivels.jpg (17.14 KiB) Viewed 9560 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Got to see the finished product in person - sure fine looking now. Great job Jerry.
U8-trial (800x148).jpg
U8-trial (800x148).jpg (106.76 KiB) Viewed 9096 times
81police

Post by 81police »

I like! :o
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Jerry,

The rifle looks pretty darn good. I really like the "older" appearance of the wood. ;) That is a real nice touch. I will be sending you an email about this rifle. I am glad to see you back in action with the projects. I know Mitch must be chomping at the bit to get his. :lol: Keep up the good work, it will keep you young. :o

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Actually this was mine but it is now Jerry's - I would never have got it to work, took an experience touch "fer-sur".