Hello!

New Member Introductions
Bend Shooter

Hello!

Post by Bend Shooter »

Just joined the site. Always admired the 8/81, just never knew about the site!
81police

Re: Hello!

Post by 81police »

Bend Shooter, we're real glad to have ya :) Welcome
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Welcome, you will enjoy, you handle, would maybe it refer Bend, Oregon? Jerry
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Bend Shooter,

Welcome to the group of Remington admirers. If you have always been an admirer of the springpoles, then you must have some. Let us know if we can help with any questions you might have.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome, we do try to have fun while sharing the affliction.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
d-2

Post by d-2 »

I havent been here very long but welcome. I got my first one about a month or so ago...d2
texassako

Post by texassako »

Welcome, I am new here too. Lots of knowledge and helpful people here.
Bend Shooter

Post by Bend Shooter »

Thanks all. Jerry, you are correct I'm in beautiful Bend, Oregon. Don't have a Model 8/81 yet, just started looking a week or so ago and stumbled onto the website.
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Welcome to the forum...Bend Shooter. I am in Roseburg, Or. These are great old rifles, and the guys here are very helpful with knowledge about them.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Bend Shooter

Post by Bend Shooter »

Thanks Clint, we are almost neighbors. I just spent a little more time browsing the site and found the member "for sale" section, so disregard my earlier inquiry. I saw the posting from a few months ago regarding the 10 Model 8's and 81's for sale at the new Cabelas in Texas. Did anyone from the site end up buying one of those guns- sounds like some decent deals. Cabelas Gun Room items are usuall pricey, but it sounded like they lowered the prices for the opening...
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Hi Bend Shooter, Inquiry about Bend was shot in the dark, pleased forum has another westerner, I am from Boise and just had a great visit, meeting and get acquainted time with imfuncity from northern California. Seems most members are from far, far away states. If you are ever this way, would be pleased to meet you in person. Map shows about 315 miles between us.
Love these humpbacks, both rifle and shotguns, Jerry
Bend Shooter

Post by Bend Shooter »

Hi Jerry,
I go through Boise every once in awhile to visit relatives in Twin Falls. Next time I head that way I will give you a holler beforehand to see if we can meet up.
Jeff
imfuncity

A word of caution

Post by imfuncity »

Bend,
Great to have another "neighbor" into this addiction. Believe you are correct regarding Cabelas’ opening and their pricing, haven't heard that anyone snagged one of those or one in Springfield, OR but it was a temptation for sure.

Think a word of caution might be a help to you regarding local rifles – not to keep you from starting down this humpback path but…. It seems that someone in our area, No. CA & OR, has decided to modify the M8 & M81. Some had been found around K-Falls 2-3yrs ago but last week Jerry/Sighthound and I found one in Cabelas in Boise.

This individual (or more then one?) along with other things, has been changing out barrels - very easy to do and no issues if done correctly and/or one stays with the same caliber. But, it is unknown if he also changed the springs to go with the new caliber barrel; if the springs are not changed to match the caliber it could create a dangerous situation and/or at least beat up the gun.

The rifle we found in the rack at Cabelas was an M8 with a 300Sav barrel! To their credit, Frank at Cabelas immediately removed it from the selling floor when we pointed out it was not as labeled and the possible issues.

May I suggest that you get Henwood’s book THE GREAT REMINGTON 8 and Model 81 Autoloading Rifles, a very good read and consider the Bible when it comes to knowing these rifles. You might also want to post what you’ve found on the forum and you are welcome to PM me. I’ve already got mine so no competition unless you stumble across a M14 in 25Rem. :D

Best of luck in your hunting.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Bend Shooter

Post by Bend Shooter »

imfuncity: thanks for the advice. I just ordered the hardcover copy of the book through Amazon.com. That should help me answer the questions as they arise, but I'm sure there is a lot of knowledge on here I will be seeking...