I got my first 81 today

New Member Introductions
d-2

I got my first 81 today

Post by d-2 »

I only had enough time to shoot it twice before dark but tomorrow is another day. I love this rifle and was worried I wouldnt be able to see through the peep site well enough to able to use it during deer season but I think I will be able to with no problem. It's in .300 Savage and it will go along with my model 99 also in .300 Savage. I start trying to work up loads for it tomorrow. I love this site...d2
Attachments
032.JPG
032.JPG (66.7 KiB) Viewed 7849 times
81police

Re: I got my first 81 today

Post by 81police »

We're glad to have ya d2! Great pick for a hunting rifle, you're only gonna love it more and more :)

Let us know how it shoots.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Unbeknown to some of us, these are herd animals - your next one is right around the corner. Welcome to the sickness!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Atta a boy d-2,

Welcome to the forum. You will love hunting with this rifle. It packs a whallop and is a hog killer! Glad to hear that you like the site. Its a site with a lot of information and a great group of guys who are eageer to answer you questions. Thank you for posting the picture. We love seeing these awesome rifles. We hope it is your first of many to come. Hee Hee Hee.

Regards,

jack1653
d-2

Post by d-2 »

Thanks for the welcome. I think my next rifle is going to be, please dont be offended or hold it against me, a Remington model 141...d2
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

How could a 141 offend? Another great Remington rifle.Besides you`ve already gotten in tight with me cause you are a Savage 99 guy. I hunt with my 81 and 99 in 300 Sav also. We are patient here.We know that another 8 or 81 is in your future whether you do or not.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Sarge756 wrote: .We know that another 8 or 81 is in your future whether you do or not.
Joe
:lol: :lol: :lol:
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed! It's a Remy - got have pics! (Just don't let 81Police know that you posted it here. ;)) Sorta looking for a 14 in 25Rem myself. This forum gave me the Remy sickness - no known cure, just take the pills: M51, 121, 141, even 870, 7400 - not to mention 8 & 81 chasers with each of the others! :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
d-2

Post by d-2 »

I'm wanting something in .25 Remington also...d2
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Depends on your viewpoint. I don't have much of a yearning for a .25 or a .32, especially the latter. The .300 and .30 are a little more mainstream for ammunition availability. I might be interested in a .35, but it would have to be a really good deal. It would have to be a super great deal for me to bite on the average .25 or .32 unless they were in exceptional condition because then I probably wouldn't shoot them.

I ran across a beater Model 14 in .30 Rem several months back, Guy wanted $200, but the bore looked like a sewer pipe and the exterior wasn't much better. I offered $75 but he wouldn't take it. I'm glad he didn't - it saved me a lot of work.
d-2

Post by d-2 »

I have been wanting a .25 for a few months now. I can fix the metal and wood but cant fix the inside of the bbl which is what makes me nervous about buying one I cant put my hands on before I hand over the money...d2
texassako

Post by texassako »

d-2 wrote:I have been wanting a .25 for a few months now. I can fix the metal and wood but cant fix the inside of the bbl which is what makes me nervous about buying one I cant put my hands on before I hand over the money...d2
Yours and Dwalt's comments make me wonder if a barrel liner would work in these guns. Brownells carries .25 and .32 barrel liners, but I guess you would need to get the gun practically for free or have some history with it to justify the expense.