Speculation:What if the US Military had adopted the Model 8?

Posts about the Model 8
Shooter5

Speculation:What if the US Military had adopted the Model 8?

Post by Shooter5 »

Is it possible to imagine what may have been if the US Military had adopted the Model 8 and we had used it in WW1? Or for that matter, adopted it instead of the Garand?
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
81police

Re: Speculation:What if the US Military had adopted the Model 8?

Post by 81police »

I don't think it would have been a good thing.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
TNrifleman

Post by TNrifleman »

As a combat rifle, the Garand excels. The Model 8/81 is a better sporting/hunting rifle in my opinion.
Shooter5

Post by Shooter5 »

Wasn't some evidence of Model 8's used by some of the European militarys?
If an autoloader would have been used in large numbers in WW1, I wonder if that would have spurred on other countries to investigate them earlier-and then perhaps the US would have been opposed by them in WW2? Or could a Model 8 have caused JMB (or others like Garand) to develop their designs sooner?
Perhaps it may not have withstood combat conditions like a Garand, however, I wonder how it may have fared either way.
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

It would have definately led to improvements in the design. Browning weapons using the same principles are still in use by our military today. I would have been interesting....Garand who? :D
War Eagle!
buford1769

Post by buford1769 »

It might of had a good chance. My old Marine buddies and I go out to the range and try to out shoot each other with old military rifles and the old Model 8 does just fine and if it just had a 30 rd mag :D :D It for sure out proforms the SKS .Hakim which would jam up in rapid fire, the old 8 did not.But nothing would beat the old M14 ,Garand. Just wonder what the troops would choose to carry cause there is a big weight differance.
35Remington

Post by 35Remington »

I have a Model 8 with military markings! It is a standard Model 8 except for these markings. The left side of the receiver has "US" and a flaming bomb, right behind the rear sight on the barrel shroud is a flaming bomb and on the left side of the buttstock is "N. AUTOMATIC 3000 F.S" and G.H.D. in a rectangle. The caliber is .35 Rem and the serial number is early, #12510. Does anyone have any theories about what I have? Pete
81police

Post by 81police »

Several members here actually have pictures of that rifle 35Remington. Being marked "G.H.D." I would assume that represents Guy H. Drewry who's cartouche you see on many WWII era firearms (Guy H. Drewry Lt. Col., USA - Smith & Wesson .38 Revolvers, Colt .45, 38 and .22 Revolvers and Pistols, Winchester and Underwood M1 Carbines, Colt Ace .22 Pistol 1930-1946).

http://www.proofhouse.com/cm/us_inspector.htm

The only strange thing is that "GHD" cartouches appeared from 1930-1946 and your rifle would have been manufactured sometime around 1909. Who knows?!

Maybe some other members have more info regarding military marked 8's.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator