35 Cal mod 8 questions

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
LTCret

35 Cal mod 8 questions

Post by LTCret »

Pack. I bought the Mod 8 35 cal. The SN is 29835. There is a "F" above the SN and a circle "K" below. Can you tell me the year of mfg? Stock has a crack in wrist starting about 1" back from receiver at bottom, extending straight back, following gain about 2". It stops before reaching end of tangs. (straps mounting stock to frame.) It does not go throught to other side, but can't tell how deep it goes. I don't think it is very deep. Does not feel loose, however, in any way. Blueing is great. 90 -95 %. Wood shows usage. I'll have the gunsmith take it apart, clean and lube as necessary....And, advise safety of gun ,as is, before I shoot it. I leave Sunday for two weeks, spring turkey in MO and KY, so won't get gun back until after that. Time to get the 1910 L.C.Smith 16 ga limbered up. I'll advise what gunsmith recommends. Would prefer to keep it original, but...... Jim Cantwell
30Gov03

Re: 35 Cal mod 8 questions

Post by 30Gov03 »

Remington did not start stamping arms with month/year production codes until 1921. For arms manufactured prior to this, the best that can be done is to compare the serial number to the list of final serial numbers to be shipped. Even this will yield only an approximate year for shipping, as arms were not necessarily shipped in strict numerical order. The assembler/fitter marks of "F" and "K" seem to have appeared on arms with serials in close proximity to the last serial shipped in 1912, so No.29835 likely shipped in either late 1912 or early 1913. That, unfortunately, is a close as it gets.

Jim
LTCret

Re: 35 Cal mod 8 questions

Post by LTCret »

Thanks for info. 1912 I had thought it was later than that. Right side of barrel shows R.P. in an oval. The L.C. Smith I bought from the same family, was made in 1910. Well it could be that they were purchased at the same time. I'm waiting for a "factory letter on the Elsie. That may or not be interesting. As an aside, our new President, may or may not impact on guns/ammo of this type dramatically. We'll have to wait and see. Again thanks. Jim C.