Old model 8

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
james8

Old model 8

Post by james8 »

I really enjoy this forum and have already learned alot. When I was a kid my Dad had a model 81 in 300 Remington and I loved that old gun. Unfortunately it was stolen when the ranch was burglarized in the 80's. I just aquired a model 8 with a low 43XX serial number. It is a bit beat up and dirty, but I think its pretty cool. Its a 30 also.

The butt plate is missing the bottom tip were it was obviously dropped and I think I have already found a replacement on line. The gun has never been drilled or tapped and it does have the rear sight elevation wedge or what ever that is called.

Would you all recommend I attempt to remove the barrel and shroud to inspect and clean this old gun? I have seen some of the talk on this procedure and it sounds rather involved and perhaps not advisable if not nessesary?

I am looking for a manual on the gun, but can you tell me how to remove the forearm wood? I am not planning to attempt to re-blue or refinish the gun cause its only original once. The gun only has the front sling swivel, and I have noticed on your web site that many model 8's only have the front. What was generally used for the rear sling attachment?

My Dad had about a hundred boxes of old ammunition including a box of 30 Remington Kleanbore Express, 160 grain Metal Cased Bullet with a number of 2330 on the box. Is there anyway to date these?

Thanks
81police

Re: Old model 8

Post by 81police »

James,

Welcome to one of the coolest forums around!

What you believe to be the front sling swivel is actually the forearm take down screw...don't feel dumb as it's likely been confused for that since its conception. Here is a link to a copy of an original model 8 manual

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... manual.pdf

If that doesn't work for you, just go to the "Everything Else 8 & 81" page on this website.

According to the data on the Ammo page, your ammunition code dates that box to around 1950-1961 if I'm reading correctly.

Cam
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator