Found Another Old 81'

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Wildgoose

Found Another Old 81'

Post by Wildgoose »

Well, I guess the hook is set. I just sent off the check for my second Model 81. This one is in .300 Savage and is not drilled for a scope. My first one was and a good thing too as I cant see the standard sights well enough to shoot as good as I can. This is why I decided that if I were to get another M8 or 81 it would have to have some type of tang sight. As fate would have it I found a very nice original Lyman folding tang sight for the Model 8/81 at a local gun show for a very reasonable price. Now I have a rifle on the way for it! :D I will post some pics when it shows up. Hey, at least I will know how to take this one down for a cleaning. ;)
81police

Re: Found Another Old 81'

Post by 81police »

congrats! we'd love to see some pictures when it arrives.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Just like Christmas. Unwraping the rifle when it arrives to see how well you did. Take it apart, clean and inspect, then lube and reassemble. This one was all original except for the butt pad and in very good shape when all was cleaned up. Out to the range next! :D
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Looks good. Like the strips in the wood.

I keep getting the taking it apart, clean and inspect mixed up with going to the range - granted your way makes sense and I respect it, I'm just not that patient. :oops: After a cursory look-see and function check I go to the range, if it doesn’t go bang I start looking for a reason. :roll:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

love the pictures, good job on reassembly. Looks like you got a good one, you're gonna enjoy it!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Shooter5

Post by Shooter5 »

Is there a good manual on how to dis-assemble? Maybe a youtube video? I need to take mine apart and clean it. Is it possible to take apart the barrel assembly?
I shot mine last week after letting it set for awhile. What a hoot.
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Shooter5 wrote:Is there a good manual on how to dis-assemble? Maybe a youtube video? I need to take mine apart and clean it. Is it possible to take apart the barrel assembly?
I shot mine last week after letting it set for awhile. What a hoot.
They really are fun arn't they. :D I do have a copied section from an old book of collected rifle maintenance instructions that my FFL dealer had when I picked up the gun. He ran me off a copy and that is what I use. Its detailed with exploded drawings, numbered parts and step by step directions for the action/reciever. It however does not cover the barrel assembly. If you want I can scan and send it to you. I have not taken the barrel assemblies apart on either of my rifles so far. There is a link to a very nice series of pictures that detail the process posted here on the list but I am not sure just where. It was not listed all that long ago. I will look around for it and if I run across it i will give you a heads up. The barrel assembly take down does not look to be very difficult but one may need a couple of special tools to accomplish it with out damage to a few key items. Tools for this are offered here on the list if you hunt around and I have run across a couple of "work arounds" posted too. Maybe someone else will chime in on this.

Found the link. Its for the M8 but I believe they are the same.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/buster_cha ... 42/detail/
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

We have another Model 81 on the way, probably receive it next week.
KEN
gramps35

Post by gramps35 »

She's a beaut' . Good find! I love the fact they are so simple to work on. It looks like it's missing the rear sight, are the holes filled? Have yu taken off the buttplate to see if anything is stashed in there?

Shooter5 - you can get a hold of Remington and request a Model 81 manual. They sent me one that had the schematic and I was able to disassemble and reassemble it. However, the pics Wildgoose linked to are clearer. As for taking the barrel apart, you can find tools to do it right. Or you could do it like I did and wrap some duct tape around pliers jaws and take it apart (I could hear other readers cringing as I typed that). I suggest soaking the barrel bushing in some penetrating oil first just to make it that much easier.
Shooter5

Post by Shooter5 »

Thanks. I am curious to at least see a barrel assembly taken apart. It doesn't have to be mine. I wonder how long the barrel and receiver springs can go before they need replacing?
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

gramps35 wrote:She's a beaut' . Good find! I love the fact they are so simple to work on. It looks like it's missing the rear sight, are the holes filled? Have yu taken off the buttplate to see if anything is stashed in there?
Hey Gramps35,
Nope, haven't looked yet. Maybe next winter,just too many other projects in the hopper now that summer is upon us. I removed the rear sight when I put the tang sight on. I can't see well enough to use the open buck horns all that well and was lucky enough to find a correct Lyman peep at a local gun show. Darn thing is worth almost as much as the gun is. In order to use it one removes the rear sight and replaces it with a spacer plate. I found one here on the list so she is set up right proper. 8-)