Model 8/81 ammunition

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
mackman

Model 8/81 ammunition

Post by mackman »

Howdy,
Has anyone used either the Hornady Leverevolution 35 Remington ammunition
or the Buffalo Bore 35 Remington ammunition in their Model 8/81 rifle?
If you have what kind of results did you get.
I sure appreciate your replies.
Hardrada55

Re: Model 8/81 ammunition

Post by Hardrada55 »

In my very humble opinion, and this is just my opinion mind you, Hornaday lever action loads, and some of other the hotter loads including Buffalo Bore are intended for Marlin lever actions and the single shot .35 Remington rifles and are a little too hot for the Remington Autoloader Model 8 and 81. Leverlution (sp?) rounds are 200 grain but with a M/V of 2225. Buffalo Bore ammo is 220 grains. I would be very hesitant to use either in my Model 8. Factory 150 grain at 2350 fps or 200 grain and about 2000 fps, Remington or Winchester, ammo I would (and do) use. At the very least, hotter ammo means your gun will last for a shorter period of time before it breaks down.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
81police

Post by 81police »

Good call Hardrada,

I've heard some members using LeverEvolution without problems but many will tell you here that it's not recommended. Hornady states the ammo is designed for fixed breech firearms only (lever guns, single shots, etc.), some additional information can be found here (http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 117.0.html).

I don't have experience with 220gr. Buffalo Bore, but the ballistic advantages of these loads might be offset by the disadvantages of additional stresses to the action over prolonged use. Just my own personal view and nothing more, if I wanted to keep my 8 or 81 functioning safely for as long as possible I'd stick with factory 200gr. SP's, just the way John Browning intended.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
mackman

Post by mackman »

Gentlemen,
Thanks very much for your responses, I do appreciate it.
And no, I am not in any hurry to blow up the old girl either.
It's a Model 81 and I'm pretty attached to it.
Interesting why I have it, I decided several years ago that
I would like to go Russian Boar hunting. A lot of research
revealed to me a great secret, those things can run real
fast and I am short. I wanted something that I could drive
in two or three shots in three seconds, realized I could
never do it accurately with a bolt gun and maybe not with
a lever gun either. I have switched to medium velocity
cartridges with big diameter after some bad experiences
with high velocity at closer ranges. I could not bring
myself to buy a modern auto loader, they all look like
something from a 2009 car dealer. Besides they are all
higher velocity again. I realize that the Remington 750
is available in 35 Whelen but I think that's more than I
need for 50 yards and less. Shoulder might not like it
much either, I'm older than I was and bruises seem to
pop up much more now.
The old ads for the 8/81's touted the 35 Remington as
suitable for even bear so if it was adequate then, it will
do the job now.
The boar awaits me but I think that I am more persuasive,
or as a famous man once said; speak softly but carry a big
bang stick.
My regards. The Mack man.
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

Please keep us informed of your future hunting success! I am sure the membership of the board would like to see pictures and read descriptions of your hunts. I know I would.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
willin02

Post by willin02 »

Hello,
I just joined this site after receiving a beautiful, well kept model 8 in a .35 caliber. This looked like the closest thread concerning my ammo question. Bear with me cause I know nothing about this weapon other than it was made in April, 1930.

I have found some Remington .35 Express Core-Lokt rounds in both 150 and 200 grain, but want to be sure that in no way they will damage the gun. I intend to use the rifle for awhile for hogs and possibly coyotes around the place until the "new" wears off, then hang it up for awhile. Any help/hints will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ricky
imfuncity

Re: Remington .35 Express Core-Lokt

Post by imfuncity »

Sounds like you have the correct ammo.
From the Remington website http://www.remington.com/product-famili ... -lokt.aspx:
Remington Core-Lokt – a reputation deserved. Hunters with a knack for filling their deer tag tend to have more than success in common. They trust their hunt to Remington Core-Lokt. For more than six decades, it has remained the leader in centerfire deer ammunition. And deservedly so.

From Henwood's book:
Without exception, gun writers advise against the use of the 150-grain laoding ... However it will not reduce the recoil of the Model 8 or 81 appreciably, and the gun may not fuction reliably when using it.

Personally I have found that both the 150gr and 200gr work. I've been able to find old and new boxes of ammo at gun shows and at dealers. But, I have found some very old ammo had a delayed ignition - those I quit using. :oops:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
tx81

Post by tx81 »

For those questioning the use of Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain bullets in .300 Savage -- Don't question it at all.

Sorry for putting my $.02 worth for .300 Savage in a .35 Whelen post, but I've used Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain in my Model 81 with no issues. From the range to the pasture, the 150 grain Core-Lokt chambered and fired without a single hiccup.

Brought two doe down with my Model 81 this year, proof that there's no problems with the bullets. (or the nut pulling the trigger either)
J. Riekers

Post by J. Riekers »

See here for a comprehensive report:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... lit=35+Rem
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Also, seems this discussion is going on at two different locations:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1371
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine