Beware of the 38 Special!

Post your non-Model 8 and 81
Hunting pictures here
J. Riekers

Beware of the 38 Special!

Post by J. Riekers »

My oldest son turned 5 years old in late October. He has hunted many times and has taken a bunch of different stuff, mostly with .22's, 410 shotgun or with help from me. He can finally get this rifle on his shoulder and has been keeping shots in a 6" circle at 50 yards on his own. He shot this hog, a 160 pounder, with a 38 Special lever action that has a really short cut stock. 28 yards and the 158gr WFNPB cast bullet broke through the shoulder and penetrated around 25" on a quartering-to shot. I wasn't sure what to expect from the 38 Spl, but it worked out great!

www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
tx81

Re: Beware of the 38 Special!

Post by tx81 »

I wouldn't have expected the same results using a .38 special either.

I read something on Remington's website that they have a .357 Hunting round in 165 grain.
Could that rifle handle .357 as well as .38 specials???

I think it's great that you've introduced your son to the wonderful world of hunting.
Experiences like what you've photographed will be remembered for a lifetime.
Keep up the great work dad!
81police

Post by 81police »

What a great story! Love the picture and that you take your kid out hunting. He did good!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

:shock: 5yrs old! Love it!

I'm not into the ballistics and handlaoding yet but I've done some reading. Do you think the longer barrel (vs. pistol) made the difference with the 38spec? I have a Camp 9 and hope to use a friends chrono and find out what difference that long barrel makes.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
J. Riekers

Post by J. Riekers »

This load in the 38 Spl is from Grizzly Cartridge Company. It is a 158 gr WFNPB bullet and it says on the box 900 fps. The owner of Grizzly told me that velocity was from a 3" barrel handgun. We chronographed the load from this 18 1/2" rifle barrel and it averages 1230 fps. So, yes there is a significant gain in velocity using the rifle. I thought the bullet was a little light and I wasn't sure about the construction since it is hardcast. It surprised me and worked well, much better than expected. The recoil is pretty mild but my son shot it kneeling on a stool to reach over the blind and it knocked him off balance. He's practicing with the same rifle but with a 140 gr cast bullet that says the velocity is just 680 fps. I don't know how fast that one goes out of the rifle, but it is a creampuff to shoot.
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks, 30% increase is indeed significant.

"Knocked him off balance" he probably won't remember that part but you will! A few years from now I can hear it - he's shooting a .50 something, you say "Remember when..." and he says "A .38? Right. I'm sure! Give me a break Dad." :lol: But at 5, way-cool where was the video camera.... 8-)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine