Night vision and HOGS

Post your non-Model 8 and 81
Hunting pictures here
81police

Night vision and HOGS

Post by 81police »

Finally had a chance to take out my night hunting rig. It's an AR15 (combination of a Bushy lower and Rock River upper) topped with a ATN 6900 Crusader Gen 2+ night vision riflescope. Up front I've got mounted an ATN 450mw IR illuminator, which wasn't needed on this hunt. So the story goes...

At late evening a buddy of mine had taken a shot at a group of pigs at a feeder 125 yards out with his 700 Remington. Not sure whether he hit one we waited it out for more hogs. We finally climbed out of the stand just after dark to have a look for blood after no further activity. We are walking about 60 yards from the feeder and I hear a slew of grunting, crunching, and squeeling! I knew the sound instantly and motioned to my buddy as we both dropped to one knee. I turned on the Crusader scope, stood up peering around the tree and could make out about 15+ small pigs having a corn feeding frenzy. I told him to hang tight as I crept up behind one of the cedar trees keeping it between me and the feeder. I slowly kneeled out from behind the tree 50 yards away from them, put the crossairs on one of the pigs, and squeezed the trigger. Through the scope I saw swine busting in all directions with one pig doing 360's on his butt. Just as I was training the reticle back on him he shot off into the trees and out of sight.

Initially we didn't see any blood, but I knew the 75gr. round hit him. I started walking in the direction he ran and about 30 yards into it I could hear him grunting and moving through the grass and low cedar branches. Unfotunately we didn't bring the NVG's so all I had was a flashlight or my scope to see with. As we moved towards his direction, he'd up and run. By now I'm starting to see large blood deposits. We move another 20 yards and I can hear him in a cedar tree and this time he's not running. I get down on one knee again looking through the scope and see him watching my buddy. One last round and the pig is finally down. It wasn't a picture perfect hunt but the first animal I've taken with the night vision setup and a ton of fun!

I forgot to mention, the rifle unloaded weighs 13lbs. The scope is a fixed 5x. Good times.

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: Night vision and HOGS

Post by imfuncity »

Gotta love TX! "Sounds" like your shots need a "can" too. ;) We in the Occupied Territory only dream of such an experience!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
J. Riekers

Re: Night vision and HOGS

Post by J. Riekers »

We use a Primos 250 yard Red Light with external battery pack. The light is meant to clip onto the tube of a rifle scope on top. However, we clip it onto a Remington 81 barrel tube with the light underneath. The red light will make the hogs show up with enough residual light to see through the rear peep sight and use the front bead. Don't discount your 8/81's for night hunting - they'll get it done with a little innovation!
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com