Local Gun Show

Posts about the Model 8
RJSPORT

Local Gun Show

Post by RJSPORT »

Yesterday i went to a local gun show and took along a Model 8 in 32 Remington that I was thinning out from the herd. As I walked through the show at table after table I heard, "What the He!! is that?" I had ONE dealer who recognised a Model 8. I will admit they were not real popular here in the midwest but I was sure surprised. I will have a table display of them at our show next week along with acessories and books. Maybe I will do some educating?
imfuncity

Re: Local Gun Show

Post by imfuncity »

Same in the Occupied Territory, sometimes that helps with the price when I'm buying - but not much use when I'm selling. :?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

I was at a large gun show yesterday in Kansas City, KS. We found three 8's and four 81's on the racks. The dealers were fairly knowledgable about the guns and I thought the asking prices were well above the amount I would be willing to pay. Of course I didnt really deal on any of them as my "couch time" situation is pertty maxed out right now. :lol: Best one of the bunch was a very nice unaltered 81 in 35Rem. that was either unfired or close to it. Like I said I didn't try to deal on it for fear he would make me a deal on it I could not refuse. Here in Nebraska they are known of but really rare. I did hear one of the better dealer quotes at the show. A guy looking at an old but nice Winchester lever gun was told by the dealer: "Too bad there isn't a story to go along with this rifle but for a small fee I can make one up for you!" Got a big smile out of that one. :D
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"Too bad there isn't a story to go along with this rifle but for a small fee I can make one up for you!" I like it and it's honest!

Gotta love gun shows for at least their characters!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Here in N. Texas we usually see 1 or 2 in a given gunshow. In fact I walked the entire Wanenmacher's 2 years ago and counted only around 5!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Mad Texan

Post by Mad Texan »

I walked through Collectors Firearms here in Houston yesterday and saw 1 Model 8 in 30 Cal. and 1 Model 81 in 300 Savage. The Model 8 was a standard grade and had a 69XXX serial number and was fairly clean.

They were priced $995 and $895 respectively.

Mad Texan
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Whoa! Sounds like someone is very proud of their plain ole hump backs or ...!

As a side note, isn't mad & Texan redundant? ;) My son was one for a few years while in the Army. I do envy Texans specifically and everyone else in the free states.
Mad Texan

Post by Mad Texan »

They are really proud of all their inventory in that place until it come time to make an offer on something your selling :x . Imagine that :roll: .

And yes I guess "Mad" and "Texan" are pretty redundant now that I think about.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

They are really proud of all their inventory in that place until it come time to make an offer on something your selling :x . Imagine that :roll:
Funny that.

And yes, I guess "Mad" and "Texan" are pretty redundant now that I think about.
That looks like a "Signature" line for you - I'm stuck faking it in the Occupied Territory. 8-)
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Collector's in Houston is definitely expensive. I've been there a couple of times (not recently), good stuff, but I didn't see anything I'd remotely consider buying at their prices. Somebody must be willing to pay what they are asking, or they probably wouldn't still be in business. Lots of millionaires in Houston.
81police

Post by 81police »

Hit the Dallas Market Hall gun show this morning. There was only 1 Model 81 in the entire show, no Model 8's. It was in .300Sav with recoil pad, sling, Stith mount, and a Weaver scope. Average condition. Priced at $695.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

From what I've been seeing on GB, I think it's a touch high but maybe not. I'd call it a good place to start haggling.

What did you think?

What say anyone, regarding an average rifle w/ holes, mounts, and scope?