My First Model 8 1924 .35

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
ironwood8959

My First Model 8 1924 .35

Post by ironwood8959 »

Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am here because I bought my first Model 8 yesterday.

I am a collector and big fan of John Moses Browning designs. I currently have 1911's, Browning Hi Powers (FN's, Inglis WWII vintage), Winchester 1892 (circa 1902), a Fabrique Nationale Model 1922, well you get the picture.

To make a long story even longer, I walked into a gun shop yesterday and went straight to the Wall O' Rifles. The first thing I picked up was this Remington Model 8. I fell in love immediately! Mechanically excellent and a beautiful bore that has great rifling. I was afraid to look at the price tag because I had a feeling I would have to put her right back on the rack. This shop generally has very high prices (for example around $300 for a Mosin Nagant 91/30) so I held out little hope I would be taking her home. I slowly turned the tag over and to my surprise it was marked $249.00! I brought her home without hesitation... Now, suffice it to say I am not an expert on Model 8's but I thought this to be a fair if not somewhat low price. Maybe those more familiar with these great pieces can offer me their opinions as to the value of this one.

I am including a couple of pictures just as I found her. Serial number 50378, barrel marked "C R". Please let me know your opinions of my new Model 8 and whether or not this was a fair price. Not that it really matters, she's a keeper!

Thanls all and it is great to be here.
“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” -John Wayne-
imfuncity

Re: My First Model 8 1924 .35

Post by imfuncity »

As the saying goes, "were you wearing a mask!"

Wlecome to the addiction - only known cure is to feed it! Here is another steal (so far) GB#208793282 :shock:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ironwood8959

Post by ironwood8959 »

Thanks for the reply! No mask necessary, any JMB design is prowdly aquired. What do you think? Fair price?
“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” -John Wayne-
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

ironwood8959,

You did fine on your purchase IMHO. The tang sight alone would bring $125.00 or so if you could find the missing part.

I would have walked out the door with it too.
ironwood8959

Post by ironwood8959 »

Thanks, anyone know where I can get a replacement upright and aperture for the Marble tang sight?
J. Riekers

Post by J. Riekers »

Looks to be a nice gun at a great price. Congratulations!
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed, you done good. Haven't seen one go that low on GB all year, not even a beater!!
Last edited by imfuncity on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
CentennialArms.com

Post by CentennialArms.com »

hell yeah you got a good deal....I have no idea why but Model 8's never brought a lot, but certainly more than $250 in that condition

I know I am high on mine, but like I said, I really don't want to sell it, it's just too damn cool
ironwood8959

Post by ironwood8959 »

Thanks for all the responses!

Any opinions on whether I should re-blue or leave her as is? Also, anyone have any idea where I can get parts for a vintage Marble tang sight?

Can't wait to getvto the range!
81police

Post by 81police »

If i'm not mistaken there was a lot of tang sight parts on gunbroker just the other day. I don't remember if it was marbles or lyman, however keep your eye on ebay they have stuff from time to time.

Reblue or keep it original? It looks pretty good to me as is with many more years of use. I'd vote keep it as is, but that's my opinion only. Enjoy it!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Reblued vs. original - all shoot the same. IMHO, shame to destroy the original. Times are uncertain, originals go up in value. Unless it was a factory reblue, when you reblue you've only created a nice looking personal shooter (almost same thing messing with the furniture).

Jack and others have some of both, what say they?
ironwood8959

Post by ironwood8959 »

I'm with you guys, no re-blue. I like the finish as is. Going to the range on New Years Day. Can't wait!
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Judging from what I've seen lately as for Model 8s and 81s and the asking price, you did good. I think my brother and I would have bought it too.

Edit: No I'm opposed to the reblue. A reblued firearm is a reblued firearm and can't be un reblued.
KEN
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey,

I am right with the other comments. I would not reblue. You will lose something unless it is done professionally and then the expense is more than the gun. Nine times out of ten you will lose fine detail and have rounded edges. That being said, I do have some that have been re-blued and you can always tell them apart from the rest.

jack1653
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I'd say clean it up and leave it alone. Refinishing of metal is expensive and will decrease the rifle's value a lot. And it won't shoot one bit better as a result. Best to enjoy it as it is, showing a history of honest use.

Regarding the missing peep sight post: I have never seen one of those, but it shouldn't be too difficult for a gunsmith or machinist to make a workable replacement (even if it does not look like the original) if you can find an original sight post to copy from. I think (but don't know) that the post is threaded. Typically for gun parts, if it IS threaded, it probably does not have a standard thread. However, you may get lucky and find a UN or metric thread that will be close enough to work.