Ready For First Trip To The Range

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Wildgoose

Ready For First Trip To The Range

Post by Wildgoose »

Still working on the scope base and mount and need to locate a vintage scope but everything else is ready for a test shoot. First test loads are .30 Remington brass, 150 grain Hornady .308 RN bullets, 33 grains of BLC(2) and CCI LRP's. Hope to make it out to the range this next week end if the temps get out of the single digits. 8-)
DWalt

Re: Ready For First Trip To The Range

Post by DWalt »

Looks like your bullet may be seated out slightly too far. Might check to make sure you can get them all into the magazine, not just one round on top. Maximum cartridge OAL shouldn't be more than about 2.53", else they could jam in the magazine.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

They are out at the limit but I can get five into and out of the mag OK. Most published OAL's I found were listed at 2.525" as you noted. The ones I have vary some due to the exposed lead tips on the bullets and run between 2.535" and 2.570" but seem to work OK. I will see if things are still OK during firing. If not I will knock em back some next time. I only loaded up twenty rounds for starters.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

That picture must be very deceiving, cause I agree, it looks like that round is too long - amazing. :o

What kind and size of mount are you getting? What kind of scope are you looking for? I have a couple vintage extras. PM your specs if you like, I'll take a look-see, might have something of interest.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

The pic really is deceving. When I insert all five rounds there is enough room in the mag. It must be the angle I took it from. That and the cartridge sitting on the floor plate of the mag as a single round its not fully seated back in the clips. Another item too, the new Remiongton cases are pretty short even full length sized so they are showing a lot of the crimping groove. I have hand cycled a mag full to test. I do it in a set up where an accidental discharge will not endanger anyone. Hand cycling live ammo through any rifle like these requires some caution. I had a good friend who killed his TV fooling around with a semi-auto pistol doing the same thing. :o
I will have a PM off to you later this evening! Thanks!
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

IMHO hasn't been anything good on TV for a long time :oops: I can see how that could happen - a great note of caution.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine