Markings on bolt / Remington 8 in .300 Savage

New Member Introductions
yzerfan99

Markings on bolt / Remington 8 in .300 Savage

Post by yzerfan99 »

Hi recenty purchased a remington model 8 chambered in .300 savage and I have a couple of questions to throw out there. First...I never thought the model 8 was chambered in .300 Savage. I thought that caliber was only available in the model 81. All of the numbers match on the gun, so it doesn't appear to be something frankensteined together...or was it? Anyway, on the bolt below where it is stamped .300 Sav there is a diamond stamp. Does this have any significance? Hope someone can help...Jeff
jack1653

Re: Markings on bolt / Remington 8 in .300 Savage

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. I remember asking the same question when I got my first 8 .300. These rifles were not made but were retrofitted. They stopped making the Model 8 in 1936 and the .300 Savage made its appearance sometime in 1940.

If your rifle was made prior to 1921 you will not find any barrel codes unless the rifle had been sent back to the factory for repair. If you check the barrel codes on the left side of the barrel jacket just above the rear portion of the forearm you should see some letters followed by a "3". This will tell you if the factory made the change and when it was done. If you do not see the factory repair code, then the barrel change was made by a non-Remington gunsmith.

I hope this helps.

jack1653
yzerfan99

Post by yzerfan99 »

Jack1653...Thank you very much for the information, it answered all of my questions. It will also come in handy should I run into another rifle in the future. Thanks asgain...Jeff
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Dear Jeff,

Yes, Jack is correct sir. I find it unfortunate that new comers must go through this experience buying their first Model 8 &/or 81 rifles. There is another now on GB advertised as a Model 81 in .300 savage but, it's actually another Model 8 in sheeps clothing! Some where along its life span, someone has changed out the barrel to .300 Savage!

This can prove a potential hazzard! Changing out a factory installed barrel for one of another caliber is not a wise decision. It takes a qualified gun smith to make sure things are compatable! Head space and correct bolt assembly being most critical! The factory matched the bolt assmbly and barrel assembly together as a mated unit. Even if one chooses to take, say a .35 caliber barrel and exchange it for another .35 caliber barrel, doesn't mean it's SAFE! Again, head space etc! It doesn't take much to be out of tolerance and get into a troublesome situation!

Anyone that decides to shoot a used firearm, no matter what, should have a qualified gun smith check it over prior to firing for your own safety & protection! Above all, always wear eye & ear protection! This is a great site for answers and information. There are many that are willing to help! Thanks for your posting and hope the information is of help!

Kindest regards,
Remcrazy
yzerfan99 wrote:Jack1653...Thank you very much for the information, it answered all of my questions. It will also come in handy should I run into another rifle in the future. Thanks asgain...Jeff
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Remcrazy, a good 'minder! One I should have posted w/ my comments to Camnut1 and his 30-32 swap idea.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1221
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Also a side note, the presence of a "3" repair code doesn't necessarily indicate a factory barrel change (if you have a Model 8 in .300Sav). The rifle could have been in for repairs unrelated to the barrel assembly / bolt. This would be especially true if the repair code was prior to 1940. Just a tidbit there. Great post!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
yzerfan99

Post by yzerfan99 »

Thanks to all who replied to my question...I really appreciate it. The great model 8 forum is a great source of information for all who love those grear old 8/81's. I will have my local gunsmith check it out before I shoot it. :D
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Good to hear! There are a GREAT bunch of folks here that are all willing to help others any way they can! Cam does a Wonderful job of keeping it together for us all to enjoy and participate! We all appreciate it! The sharing of information, stories and friendship make it what it is, FANTASTIC!

Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year!

Best!
Rremcrazy
yzerfan99 wrote:Thanks to all who replied to my question...I really appreciate it. The great model 8 forum is a great source of information for all who love those grear old 8/81's. I will have my local gunsmith check it out before I shoot it. :D
wayno

Post by wayno »

well, howdy again; this is no doubt a tough crowd with which to gain admission. has the tone of a texas bunch, or tennesse, perhaps...no matter, those of us from the old north state will find a place in the crowd.
81police

Post by 81police »

Wayno,

no special knowledge required to be apart of this motley crew. Whether from the Lone Star State (I may be a little biased :D ) or from New York, everybody is welcome here! We're glad to have ya.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I noted the brief discussion earlier regarding the hazards of excessive headspace. That depends entirely upon the amount of excessive headspace. In general, you need a considerable level of excess for a hazardous condition to exist. This is because tha cartridge head is fairly thick with most CF rifle cartridges, and can hold a lot of pressure.

There's been a lot written on this topic. In Hatcher's Notebook, the General describes a series of experiments made during WWII with a Springfield '03 rifle in which the chamber was successively reamed deeper and deeper in increments, with firing at each increment. At the time he stopped, I think the headspace excess was approaching 0.1" (or maybe more), and there was still no problem with case rupture. It's virtually impossible to have this much excessive headspace unless the gunsmith is a total incompetent. George Nonte's book, "Modern Handloading" also devotes a lot of discussion to headspace, and is a good read for those that want to understand it better. Bolt lockup is another matter, as that does have to be complete.

Not that excess headspace is a good thing, just that it's not nearly the hazard it has been purported to be by those who misunderstand its meaning.
tx81

Post by tx81 »

81police wrote:Wayno,

no special knowledge required to be apart of this motley crew. Whether from the Lone Star State (I may be a little biased :D ) or from New York, everybody is welcome here! We're glad to have ya.
What??? Biased??? NAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! Just 'cuz I'm a TX native, nah, I'm not biased. :lol:

What I really despise about some people in my line of work is those who think "knowledge is power" and keep it all to themselves. Doesn't always work out in the long run for folks like that. "Share the wealth" (of knowledge) has always been my motto. It's always made my job easier by sharing all the information and knowledge I have.

I haven't belonged to this forum for very long, but have found the guys here are great and will tell you all that you need to know . . . all you have to do is ask.

RR