Just a question for those more enlightened.......

New Member Introductions
Camnut1

Just a question for those more enlightened.......

Post by Camnut1 »

Hi,
I'm new the the group, with an interesting question, that I haven't seen addressed.

A couple years ago, I inherited a Mod8 in .32Rem..... I'd like to do more with it
than say "Wow, what a pretty rifle grandpa left me." It seems to be in excellent
Mechanical condition, OK finish wise, stock has some handling dings, the
metal could have been cared for better, but the biggest problem is the .32Rem.

Someone is selling a .30Rem on Gunbroker, and I was wondering if I changed out
the .32 barrel/sleeve for the .30 barrel/sleeve, would the action work correctly?

I know that the .35 is different, but is the .30?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Camnut1
jack1653

Re: Just a question for those more enlightened.......

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Camnut1,

Welcome to the forum. Always good to see another new member. You can find answers to your questions and most of the time we agree on the answers.

You didn't mention the reason for changing out the barrel assembly so my answer is not straight forward. You are correct in your thinking about changing out the barrel assembly for the .25, .30 and .32. The assemblies basically use the same springs and all are interchangeable. The only thing you may want to check would be the head spacing. While it should work you must remember that the rifle was set up for one caliber and you are changing one of the components. If you are talking about changing out only the barrel jacket, then you should not have the aforementioned head spacing issue.

Check back for some other answers. Again it is good to have you. Post some pictures of your rifle because we enjoy seeing the rifles.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome, from a fellow inmate in the occupied territory.

How did I let a model 8 escape? Thought I snagged all that came available - at least in NoCA. Oh wait, inherited - that's a very fine thing - enjoy it.

I'm no gunsmith and covering some of the same ground Jack talked about - as to enlightened ... enter at your own risk.

I have taken several apart; mic'd the parts plus done a fair amount of reading. The info below is my opinion and it is regarding only the Model 8 25Rem, 30Rem, and 32Rem. The 81, as well as the 35Rem and 300Sav models, are very different from each other and from these three.

First, the 25Rem, 30Rem, and 32Rem cartridges are based on the same case (very similar to the 30-30Win except without a rim, even using the same reloading data). They are all obsolete and cost a mint just for the cases let alone loaded ammo. Loaded ammo is so old as not recommended to be fired - I can say from experience that a hang-fire is very scary. (Also, read stupid.) Thus it would not do you much good to change out the barrel for the sake of ammo.

On mine, the internals are basically the same for the 25Rem, 30Rem, and 32Rem; both in the receiver and inside the barrel. Yes, you can change out the barrels within the barrel shroud and from one receiver to another. The bolts are also the same. I understand that often from the factory the extractor had a different number on it than that rifle's caliber, certainly true of mine. (Again read stupid, but 32's can shoot 25's and 30's!! My only excuse is the head stamp on (all?) new 25, 30, & 32Rem ammo is 30Rem and they got mixed up!!)

That said, personally I would not recommend making a "parts gun" out of a fine old heirloom. Probably should have ask this sooner, what are you trying to gain?

And remember, please feed the picture hungry gun nuts!!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Camnut1

Post by Camnut1 »

Hi All,

Thanks for the fast response.

I wasn't trying to gain anything except for more options.
If I have a receiver that will shoot .25 .30 and .32, then when I'm scrounging around
at shows, reloaders, or in dusty corners, I'll have more of a chance of finding something
I can use with a simple barrel swap. With these three cals being so hard to find, I just wanted
to expand my options.

Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks,
Camnut1
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Why not reload the .32R? .30R brass is available at a more-or-less reasonable price (about 50 cents each) and expanding the .30R neck will produce a .32R. Jacketed bullets of the proper diameter are available, or you could cast lead bullets. The fly in the ointment is that while the .32R reloading dies are available, they are not standard stock items, and you will have to pay a premium price for them, unless you can by happenstance find an old set in the bargain bin at your gun shop, a gun show, or maybe on eBay, Gun Broker, etc. This would be both safer and cheaper than trying to find a .30R barrel that may or may not fit properly.