Removing the 81 buttstock

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
DWalt

Removing the 81 buttstock

Post by DWalt »

In my earlier posting, I said that the metal finish on my new (to me) 81 was near perfect, but the wood was scarred and dinged up pretty badly. The forend is no problem, and I have already stripped and sanded it. Will probably use a Tung oil finish. However, before I remove the buttstock for refinishing, I thought I'd ask for some advice first. From the parts diagram, it appears the way to proceed is just to remove the rear screw from the bottom tang, then pull the stock off. Is there any more to it than that? Any problem areas to watch out for?
gramps35

Re: Removing the 81 buttstock

Post by gramps35 »

If you do remove the stock, then yes it is only the one rear screw.

I left my stock attached to the gun. I used blue painters tape to mask off the metal so it wouldn't get scratched. I also taped the edges of the buttplate. Doing this insures you don't round off the edges of the wood while sanding. If the tape gets to abused, just replace it with fresh tape. The painters tape won't leave residue like regular masking tape does. You can also remove the barrel so it's easier to maneuver.

Edit: My gun is a Model 8, but it shouldn't be any different on the 81.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Sage advice Gramps, I like it. Have a couple of non collectors that I was going to do some work on but .... One is a hand whittled butt stock on an old Savage (?) shotgun, not much to lose working with it, now at least I have an idea how to go about starting.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

No problems in removing the buttstock - I just unscrewed and removed the lower tang screw and pulled the stock right out. I did notice the serial number is stamped into the lower tang recess of the stock - fortunately it matches the one on the receiver.

As I usually do, I wiped the stock down well with acetone to strip the old finish, which was badly scarred and scratched. When finished, the bare wood looks very good and is not rough at all, with only a few small dents. In fact, I don't think I will do any sanding, just apply a fresh Minwax Tung oil finish, which is my favorite. As opposed to "boiled" linseed oil (Tru-Oil, etc.) a Tung oil finish, to me, looks richer and more elegant, without a high gloss, and has an "aged" look instead of looking like it was just applied as linseed oil does. In the past I have also used something called Watco "Danish Oil Finish" which looks great, but never seems to completely cure.

I recently bought a beautiful Remington Model 12 .22 pump, which was easily a 9 out of 10, except for a crackled and wrinkly finish on the buttstock. I removed it with acetone, applied Tung oil without any sanding, and it looked like it just left the factory. By the way, Tung oil was used as a finish by the Japanese for the stocks of their military rifles.
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Is it also only the rear screw on the model 8's to remove the but stock? I can't seem to get the front screw to turn out at all.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Yes. I think the front screw retains a flat spring.