Model 11 question....

Other great Remington rifles
45guy

Model 11 question....

Post by 45guy »

Well, not exactly model 11... I was wondering if the forearm on a model 11 is interchangeable with the Savage model 720?
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
DWalt

Re: Model 11 question....

Post by DWalt »

I can't say for sure, but it should. My understanding is that the basic shotguns are identical, differing only in the manufacturer. However, certain parts may not be interchangeable. You may wish to pose the question to Gun Parts-Numrich, as they should know. I have asked such questions to them in the past. Are you having trouble in getting an original part?
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Yep, they were sold out for 12, had 16 and 20 gauge though...
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Wish I had kept my M11s. I had two - one in 20, one in 12, both were great guns, with a lot more class than anything on the new market today. But they were a bit heavy. Resemblance to the M8/M81 is very close.
81police

Post by 81police »

I had a Model 81 slung over my shoulder at a gun show once, you'd be surprised by how many don't know what they are. When asked I'd say, "this is the rifle version of the A5 Browning/M11 Remington", haha. One response was, "yeah I was looking all over for the gas port on that thing", haha.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Well this is another project that will never get done. The replacement stock I found has the length of pull cut down about 2.5 inches. I'm thinking it's time to turn this old clunker into a Clyde-esque whip it gun. New buffer, friction piece, spring, ring, and trim it down below the dent in the barrel and silver solder an old cutt's compensator on... I also heard a nasty rumor that the Remington extended sporting magazines are adaptable. Soon... soon...

ImageImage
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

As to your original question, a gracious forum member gave me a 720 parts gun. I can say that the Savage 720 barrel now on my M11 works like a champ. That said, the 720 did not have a forearm, but it would seem to me that if the barrel swapped the forearm should also. (As an aside, the A-5 barrel would not work on either the M11 or 720.)

In my humble and inexperience opinion, I would think that the cheaper and less sought after Savage furniture would do you up proud. I'm sure you will hate to part with that genuine-original-electrical-tape-grip. :roll: (Several of us probably wish we could say that we’ve never seen one like it.)

Can't say that I understand your last post as to why it won't get done and/or what you have planned for it - just voicing my concern from the SM11AA (Save the M11 Association of America). :lol:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I said earlier that I believed that the Savage and the M11 had interchangeable parts. More years ago than I care to think about, I had a friend with a Savage 12 ga and I had a M11. I remember our also being able to swap barrels successfully. That doesn't mean all parts are interchangeable, but if not, probably many are. I do remember that our two humpbacks looked like identical twins. I long ago read some story about Remington and Savage using the same tooling for their shotguns, but not the details why - something about the Browning patents and involving FN.

I'd always wanted the FN version, but never bought one. It seemed a little classier than the M11.

Another story - M11s and Savages were both used during WWII a lot for aerial gunnery training. An acquaintance long ago told me a story about his working on a gunnery training range at some bomber training base in West Texas, the gist of which was that every day they would tear down all the shotguns and dump the parts into a tank of gasoline or kerosene to clean them, then reassembled the parts without regard to which parts went where. True or not, I can't say.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

OK, I'll bit how in the world would any shotgun work as training for "aerial gunnery training"? :? For some reason I just can't make that work, not that I'm questioning the information. (Makes me think of trying to use a BB gun for 1000yd sniper practice.) What am I missing?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Simple - they shot clay pigeons with it. They had elaborate ranges set up, where the shooters would ride around on trucks while clay pigeons were thrown from stationary positions. That taught tracking and leading your target. Much simpler and cheaper to get the basic principles across to fledgling bomber crewmen than taking them up in a bomber to shoot. Sometimes the shotguns were set up on gun mounts similar to how the .50 M2s were mounted in aircraft.

For a detailed description look at: http://www.scribd.com/doc/22367889/Bomb ... r-Training

By the way - Numrich-Gun Parts says the Savage and the M11 (and the Browning) use the same forend:

Remington 11 / Savage 720 12 Ga. Walnut Forend - Replacement 5-shot forend with finger grooves. Fits the following models:

Model: SAVAGE 720, 745, 750, 750C, 745B, 745C
Model: REMINGTON 11
Model: BROWNING AUTO 5
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Way-cool thanks.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Problem solved... I traded the Savage and a POS Erma PPK knock off for a Colt Police Positive. Now to find some .38 S&W ammo. On a side note, nobody in NE Ohio has seen a model 8 in ages gauging by the number of offers my wife and I had for my POS at the Ashtabula show.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Congratulations on the Police Positive. I am a real fan of the .38 S&W cartridge. Ammo can be tough to find depending on where you live, but most every gun show has somebody selling it. Reloading is the way to go. Even though it's a little smaller in diameter, you can shorten .38 Special cases if you can't find any .38 S&W brass. They expand on the first shot. I use .38 Super dies for reloading, but you might be able to use 9mm. If you don't already have those dies, you might also have a little bit of difficulty in finding cheap .38 S&W dies. .357-.358 lead bullets work fine. I use 125 grain .358 lead bullets over 3.5 grains of Unique for everything.