Question For 81Police

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Wildgoose

Question For 81Police

Post by Wildgoose »

Noted a comment you made in relation to the value of an FN1900. You commented that having a rifle that has had the reciever drilled and taped for a scope mount is never a good thing. If you get a chance could you expand on why you feel that is the case? I have seen several guns in my research that have had this done to them so it is something encountered fairly often.
Thanks
Goose
81police

Re: Question For 81Police

Post by 81police »

Wildgoose,

very good question. First off as collectors, typically anything that alters the firearm from its original factory condition will decrease value. Things like aftermarket scope mounts, recoil pads, non factory sling swivels (drilled in the forearm ouch!), etc. I tend to think a receiver drilled and tapped for a scope mount (whether or not the scope mount is still there) is the worse because you have a series of ugly holes that the rifle didn't originally come with. I hope I'm explaining this well enough. This isn't just for Model 8/81's, I think it holds true for most firearm collectors as well.

Okay, take for example, if you have two "F" grade Model 8's of similar condition, one is 100% original, and the other with a drilled and tapped receiver for a Stith mount (5 extra holes) and a recoil pad, which do you think is more desirable?

Now if you're looking for something to go hunting with or a shooter, a scope mount might be desirable because its functional.

Does that make sense?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Absolutly does sir. I was just wondering if your comment was based on collector value and the desire to see straight examples of the original guns still available. Or, if it was possibly that some issue with the safefy or function on the gun may result. If I were to come into posession of a complete original rifle I would not have it scoped either for all of the reasons you listed. I just recently purchased my first Model 81 and am waiting for it to arrive. It has a scope mount installed and just as you said I bought it for a hunting gun so its a plus with my old eyes. It also saved me a few bucks on its cost. I more than likely will pick up another one sometime that is unaltered but for now I am starting with an affordable shooter.
81police

Post by 81police »

Fantastic, sounds like one already with a scope mount was just the ticket for ya. Be sure to post some pictures if you can of your upcoming 81!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator