Hello

New Member Introductions
Wildgoose

Hello

Post by Wildgoose »

Just a note to introduce myself. I am a long time shooter,reloader and general gun nut. I shoot both competition and just for fun. DCM, Black Powder Cartridge Shihouette and Creedmore, Muzzle Loaders and Lever Gun. Recently I have been getting interested in the old Remington semi-autos. Been looking at them for years at the gun shows and finally decided to get into maybe picking one up for a little vintage style deer hunting. A guy always needs something new to ponder and fiddle with down in the gun roon on cold winter nights. :D So, I am here to learn about the Model 8's and 81's before I plunk down the jack for one. For now I will just catch up on whats here and join in when I get up to speed.
Thanks
jack1653

Re: Hello

Post by jack1653 »

Hey wildgoose,

Interesting name! Welcome aboard. Always glad to have new members who are interested in these fine old rifles. You can get a lot of opinions, facts and good information from the membership about the 8's & 81's.

If you are looking for a vintage hunting rifle, try the older Model 8 in .35 and the .300 Savage in the model 81. I suggest these two because you can still buy ammunition for the .35 and .300. It sounds like you are a reloader so the other calibers, .25, .30 and .32 are good rounds but more difficult to find but if you can find the brass, you can do your own loads.

Enjoy the sight and jump right in with questions and advice.

jack1653
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Thank you for the reply jack1653. I have already learned a good deal from reading present and past posts on the site. Very interesting place indeed. As a bullet caster, reloader and shooter of several obselete cartridges in my Sharps and Rollers I am open to about any of the ones the Model 8/81s were offered in. Although I seem to have a yen for the .30 Rem. But a good solid gun in shootable condition, clean or looking her age no matter, will get my attention. I really enjoy taking my deer with vintage rifles and open sights so these old guns are on my radar for sure.
81police

Post by 81police »

Welcome to the website Wildgoose! What sort of ranges (distance) do you shoot in competition, assume a variety of ranges? Y'all got some big bucks in Nebraska.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: 30?

Post by imfuncity »

Interesting choice 30Rem, I'm not a reloaded (yet?) why would you choose that one? (I'm allergic to recoil thus I like the 25 but I've noticed that the 30 is not bad at all.)

Also interesting, that when I first start getting "some" of these rifles that was the one I found the hardest to fine; my impatience finally led me buy one that won the "Ugliest Model 8" contest on a previous forum! Since then I've ended up with "some" 30s much nicer.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

81police wrote:Welcome to the website Wildgoose! What sort of ranges (distance) do you shoot in competition, assume a variety of ranges? Y'all got some big bucks in Nebraska.
I shoot anywhere between 200 and 1000 yards depending on the game with the black powder cartridge guns. And between 50 and 200 for the lever guns. Our local DCM matches are shot with ARs, M1s and such are all shot at 200 and 300. All of these are shot with open sights, mostly varner tang or military peeps depending on the guns. Keeps me busy casting and loading most of the summer months.
I use my lever guns in 45/70, 30-30 and 405 for deer. And yes we do have some big ones.
Wildgoose

Re: 30?

Post by Wildgoose »

imfuncity wrote:Interesting choice 30Rem, I'm not a reloaded (yet?) why would you choose that one? (I'm allergic to recoil thus I like the 25 but I've noticed that the 30 is not bad at all.)
I do a lot of my deer hunting with lever guns in 45, 30 and 40 caliber. I shoot reduced (somewhat anyway) loads with cast lead bullets for the 45 and 40 cals. Not so with the 30-30, its a great cast lead shooter as is. I really enjoy taking my deer with open sighted vintage weapons like these. When I saw the Model 8 and 81s at gun shows they always drew my attention. Just something about a vintage auto loader in a trun of the century cartridge like the 30 Remington that was plain cool. Not to mention all of those great posters put out by Remington depicting the rifles in action I looked at as a kid. As you can tell recoil isnt a draw back for me as I have spent many an afternoon behind a Sharps 45-110 shooting 525 grain cast slugs at steel critters. But it would be nice to have a well ballanced cartiridge like the .30 Rem for some hunting. Plenty big enough for deer at resaonable distances and not a thumper like the 45 and 40. Right now I am looking at all of them and trying to get a handle on what a reasonable price would be for what condition/caliber combination. And just enjoying the hunt for one to get started with. :D