New enthusiast from IL

New Member Introductions
ManInBlack83

New enthusiast from IL

Post by ManInBlack83 »

Hello everyone,

I recently discovered the great model 8/81 in an issue of Guns and Ammo. What a beautiful rifle!!! I've noticed since I purchased my Garand about a year ago, I've really developed a deep appreciation for old rifles. I'm currently searching for my first 81, I've found a few but none that trip my trigger. Most I've found have been drilled to accommodate a scope. I'm sure with a little patience, the right one will be along soon.

I look forward to future conversations with you all.

MIB83
jack1653

Re: New enthusiast from IL

Post by jack1653 »

Hey MIB83,

Welcome to the forum. What part of Illinois are you located? I was born in Illinois and left the state for warmer Geogia winters in '84.

There are still rifles out there and I am sure you will find one. I might suggest that you try and find either a model 8 or 81 in the .35 so you won't have any issues in finding modern ammo. The 81 also comes in the .300 Savage and that ammo is still available. The other calibers are now obsolete but you can find it through some speciality sellers and tends to be pricey.

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

welcome aboard MIB83,

I'll have to agree with you, these are beautiful rifles and fine autoloaders. Wish you all the best in finding just the right one.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ManInBlack83

Post by ManInBlack83 »

Hello jack1653,

I grew up in Carol Stream, moved to Florida for a couple years, moved back to IL and now live in Yorkville.

I was successful in acquiring two 81's since my original post. One was manufactured in 1942 chambered in .35 Rem. and the other was manufactured in 1949 and is chambered in .300 Savage. I am extremely happy with the two rifles. I was able to get both in great shape for a fair price.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey MIB...

I know where Carol Stream is. My son resides there and we are there visiting him this week end. It is good to hear that you have a couple of these fine rifles. You can't stop with just two. They are addicting. Keep up the good work and if you get a chance to post some pictures we would like to see them.

jack1653
ManInBlack83

Post by ManInBlack83 »

jack1653,

Here's the link with the pics of the 81's. I won the 300 Sav. on Gunbroker and will take better pics when it arrives next Tuesday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=973